• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Digital Instrument Cluster

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Replacing the entire gauge cluster with a single digital display is relatively new but the prices are dropping quickly and I expect to see them widely implemented over the next few years. Modern displays are incredibly sharp with fast refresh rates so they should work out well. The only issue is if the display has an issue then there goes you entire gauge cluster.

Fly by the seat of your pants or skirt as the case may be................ :)

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All this speculation relies on the engine management. Simple mechanical gauges would be the most cost effective. Digital auto dashes rely on OBDII inputs. If they go with a proprietary system it would complicate the use of digital gauges.

As with most things 'cost' will determine the final choice although there will probably be options for the more adventurous...... :)

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio's plan to use existing components to keep the price down still applies. Keep it simple and at the least cost possible. Simplicity in functionality should prevail
I am whole heartedly in agreement. I started this thread and my first post was for an OPTIONAL digital cluster. It's kind of gone bananas from there.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Fly by the seat of your pants or skirt as the case may be................ :)
That's the way it works in an Aeronica Champ or a Piper J3. I once flew an Aeronica with a good air frame but the body canvas was in such bad shape I could look down at the stick between my legs and see the ground below. I arrived at my destination of about 50 miles with less canvas than I began with. Nobody mentioned it but I suspect I might have changed the seat of my blue jeans brown. Quite an experience. I was taking it to have the body and the wing surfaces redone and didn't have a trailer nor any thing to pull one with if I had.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's the way it works in an Aeronica Champ or a Piper J3. I once flew an Aeronica with a good air frame but the body canvas was in such bad shape I could look down at the stick between my legs and see the ground below. I arrived at my destination of about 50 miles with less canvas than I began with. Nobody mentioned it but I suspect I might have changed the seat of my blue jeans brown. Quite an experience. I was taking it to have the body and the wing surfaces redone and didn't have a trailer nor any thing to pull one with if I had.

I'm sure @ the time it wasn't funny, but ROFLOL.... :)

Ernie

Elio Fan
Reaction score
As with most things 'cost' will determine the final choice although there will probably be options for the more adventurous...... :)
Very true. If there is an engine management system that can be tapped into for information I hope there will be options available to use it. Even if it's not right away with the first roll out, I hope the instrument pod can be designed as a separate piece so it can be replaced later with other options as they become available for the "more adventurous" among us. :) And really, most of the "analog" gauge clusters you see in most modern vehicles today are simply an analog "facade' in an electronic module that plugs into the dash panel. There are very few speedometer cables driving mechanical speedometers/odometers any more. They are all electronic with LCD odometers with a "static memory" that requires no batteries for backup. Today's LCD panels can be manufactured so inexpensively that I doubt that there would be much difference in a LCD electronic gauge cluster compared to an analog facade electronic gauge cluster. The first one just has infinite possibilities open to it. The second one is what it is forever more.

In a short time I believe we will start seeing these LCD panels showing up in cars like Honda Fit's, Hyundia Elantra's, Kia Rio's, etc. because the cost of manufacturing will be cheaper than their analog counterparts. The only reason they are so expensive right now is because they "can" charge more for them because they are associated with high end cars. It's all about marketing and soaking the early adopters as much as they can while they can. Remember how expensive the first digital watches were. Now you can get one for under $10.00. It's actually cheaper to make a digital watch than a mechanical one today. Well the technology for the LCD screens is already down to a very affordable level. So there's no reason they should be expensive at all. It's just about marketing. And Paul Elio doesn't seem to subscribe to that line of thinking. If he can provide it for a reasonable price I believe he will. I hope there will be options that will appeal to all of us out here. For those that want analog, analog. For those that want LCD panels or tablet docks, those options as well. Even if those options have to come at a later date. Just please leave the dashboard open to future options.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
sniped: And Paul Elio doesn't seem to subscribe to that line of thinking. If he can provide it for a reasonable price I believe he will. I hope there will be options that will appeal to all of us out here. For those that want analog, analog. For those that want LCD panels or tablet docks, those options as well. Even if those options have to come at a later date. Just please leave the dashboard open to future options.

Terrific post! I agree re., Paul Elio's costing perspective. I think a variety of dash capable options will be available by rollout if/not
shortly thereafter............. :)

Top Bottom