• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Defending The Elio

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My brother in law took me for a ride in his new camero. He said he needed to drive it for a bit to warm it up before he drove it too hard. Any truth to that?

that's old school thinking in which I believe .... as to if it is still applicable today
dunno.gif

Jim

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My brother in law took me for a ride in his new camero. He said he needed to drive it for a bit to warm it up before he drove it too hard. Any truth to that?

For one thing, the modern EGR system probably doesn't work terribly well with WOT and a cold engine. I'd worry about extra carbon from inefficienctly burnt fuel depositing on the back of the valves - something that has been a real sore point for direct injection engines. Dunno if the Camaro is or is not DI, but there are a whole range of good reasons other than this to bring a motor to operating temp before hitting the fun pedal too hard.

Dooltd

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When it comes to Elio naysayers, I say who cares? Just make a mental list and they won't get a ride, let alone a test drive.
One of the joys of hitting 66 (and there are damn few) is that you no longer give a f*** about what anyone thinks. It's very liberating. :cool:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When it comes to Elio naysayers, I say who cares? Just make a mental list and they won't get a ride, let alone a test drive.
One of the joys of hitting 66 (and there are damn few) is that you no longer give a f*** about what anyone thinks. It's very liberating. :cool:
LOL- best remarks on the thread!!!

ElioDigger

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I feel that WAY AT 50!!!!!! Normally tell them It is a good thing I purchased it rather than you....

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver

I would think for the Elio, we'll just read the owner's manual, and if there's any sort of "breaking in" activities suggested, we'll do it then.

I have seen a few models of car over the years where the owner's manual had various suggestions of "break-in" activities to do. Change the oil a bit sooner than usual for the first 10k miles... for the first 50 miles, don't drive it over 65 mph... etc.

Top Bottom