• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Decided Against Elio

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
1984 chevette, not proud of it mind you, 24-26 in town.
Nothing wrong with the Chevettes; I owned one about 30 years ago that I had bought from the shop I worked for (we had a bunch of them that we used as runner cars. We bought them from a telephone co. that phased them out; like 15 of them). Mine was a 1976 2 door hatch back (aka 3 door) 4 speed stick; dark brown (don't say it, just think it). I bought it for $300 (the brakes were shot) and drove the wheels off the thing after I replaced the master cylinder. It was a ball to drive! Great gas mileage, started and ran every day; what more could you ask for. Sold it like 5 years after I got it for $650 and that guy drove it till it died 10 years later. Great little beater cars.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the Chevettes; I owned one about 25 years ago that I had bought from the shop I worked for (we had a bunch of them that we used as runner cars. We bought them from a telephone co. that phased them out; like 15 of them). Mine was a 1976 2 door hatch back (aka 3 door) 4 speed stick; dark brown (don't say it, just think it). I bought it for $300 (the brakes were shot) and drove the wheels off the thing after I replaced the master cylinder. It was a ball to drive! Great gas mileage, started and ran every day; what more could you ask for. Sold it like 5 years after I got it for $650 and that guy drove it till it died 10 years later. Great little beater cars.
I wonder if anyone will be driving an original still going strong Elio after 25 years of drive time?

AJ Maxey

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's heartbreaking to read things like this, but I honestly think things will pick up dramatically at the beginning of 2016. They've been slow, but we're at that turning point where "the timeline becomes clearer" -PE. The more break throughs EM makes the easier it becomes for them to get started. Their first start date of 2014 was way too ambitious.

Yea this next timeline review may include another delay, but I doubt it will be anything more than 6 months. I believe EM with get the ATMV, and I believe these will start flying off the assembly line in no more than 1 1/2 years.

I don't know... I guess your decisions are yours for a reason, and I'm not trying to persuade you, but trying to keep you optimistic.

Good luck with your new vehicle though.

Reid3400

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the Chevettes; I owned one about 30 years ago that I had bought from the shop I worked for (we had a bunch of them that we used as runner cars. We bought them from a telephone co. that phased them out; like 15 of them). Mine was a 1976 2 door hatch back (aka 3 door) 4 speed stick; dark brown (don't say it, just think it). I bought it for $300 (the brakes were shot) and drove the wheels off the thing after I replaced the master cylinder. It was a ball to drive! Great gas mileage, started and ran every day; what more could you ask for. Sold it like 5 years after I got it for $650 and that guy drove it till it died 10 years later. Great little beater cars.
When we were both working, I bought one for $500 and gave it to a buddies daughter who was boarding close by. She came each morning, got the children ready for school, had breakfast with them, drove them to school, brought them home from school and stayed until one of us got home. Great little car which ran forever and never depreciated $1 in 5 years.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
When we were both working, I bought one for $500 and gave it to a buddies daughter who was boarding close by. She came each morning, got the children ready for school, had breakfast with them, drove them to school, brought them home from school and stayed until one of us got home. Great little car which ran forever and never depreciated $1 in 5 years.
They are great little bulletproof cars; almost sorry they stopped building them (notice I said "almost")

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I don't think anything has been said about a maximum timeframe in which a reservationist would HAVE to place their order, once production actually starts. So, your money should be applicable if you should ever decide you also wanted an Elio!

Hi Deborah,

I do remember this question being asked on EM's Facebook page many moons ago, but I don't remember what the stated specific time limit was. I'm 95% sure it was stated as less than 4 months. Naturally, that answer could change anyway, as time flows by.

Top Bottom