• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Could Volvo Scc " A " Pillars Work In A Elio

Proud to be

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Could these work on an Elio...?

The main problem that I see when driving my new Elio is the "A" pillars...

The wide "A" pillars of an Elio, make a couple of blind spots...

Like Paul Elio stated... it is like driving a Indy Car...But the "A" pillars are a lot wider on a Elio then in a Indy Car, I have never drove one.. But I have sat in one...

I am glad there is more room in a Elio and it will gets better gas mileage....

I understand that in a short time my eyes and driving habits will change when I drive an Elio for the first few times...

But, if this was a option for my Elio... I would buy it... works and looks good too...

Volvo has come up with a idea to help in this blind spot area... volvo A pillar.jpg volvosccapillar500.jpg Volvo-SCC.jpg

Here is what it looks like in an Elio P1080248.JPG two blind spots/strips...

I don't know if having these Volvo pillars would fail the 5 star crash test... or screw up the roll cage?

But, I would like to see these type of "A" pillars on my Elio... I would feel safer with them... What about you??

Not to late to put them in the P5.... hint... hint... pass the word to EM...

Proud to Be.. an Elio owner..#2225

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Could these work on an Elio...?

The main problem that I see when driving my new Elio is the "A" pillars...

The wide "A" pillars of an Elio, make a couple of blind spots...

Like Paul Elio stated... it is like driving a Indy Car...But the "A" pillars are a lot wider on a Elio then in a Indy Car, I have never drove one.. But I have sat in one...

I am glad there is more room in a Elio and it will gets better gas mileage....

I understand that in a short time my eyes and driving habits will change when I drive an Elio for the first few times...

But, if this was a option for my Elio... I would buy it... works and looks good too...

Volvo has come up with a idea to help in this blind spot area...View attachment 3216 View attachment 3211 View attachment 3215

Here is what it looks like in an Elio View attachment 3214 two blind spots/strips...

I don't know if having these Volvo pillars would fail the 5 star crash test... or screw up the roll cage?

But, I would like to see these type of "A" pillars on my Elio... I would feel safer with them... What about you??

Not to late to put them in the P5.... hint... hint... pass the word to EM...

Proud to Be.. an Elio owner..#2225
I suspect they would be very pricey just as a guess. :-) Z

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The A frame supports appear to be a major part of the rollcage design Elio is based on. I doubt they'd give up the support or impact resistance in order to add a tiny bit of visability. I could be wrong though.
The way the Elio rollcage is built, it will flex a lot less than any unibody based vehicle I ever saw. Safety first! Or milage, or price, hmm.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Some things to consider are that the the A pillars in the Elio are not any larger than other vehicles and as such they do not block any more of the view. They simply appear to be larger because they are closer together than we are used to seeing them. Also when considering the view we must consider that the A pillars are not located at the edges of the vehicle where we are used to seeing them and the driver is seated in a different position in the center of the vehicle. This all means that what the A pillars block is completely different than in any other car.

The most common issue with the A pillars blocking the view is perpendicular vehicles at intersections. The Elio does not have this issue at all as the A pillars are closer to the center of the vehicle which means you will always be able to see those vehicles out of the side window instead.

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some things to consider are that the the A pillars in the Elio are not any larger than other vehicles and as such they do not block any more of the view. They simply appear to be larger because they are closer together than we are used to seeing them. Also when considering the view we must consider that the A pillars are not located at the edges of the vehicle where we are used to seeing them and the driver is seated in a different position in the center of the vehicle. This all means that what the A pillars block is completely different than in any other car.

The most common issue with the A pillars blocking the view is perpendicular vehicles at intersections. The Elio does not have this issue at all as the A pillars are closer to the center of the vehicle which means you will always be able to see those vehicles out of the side window instead.
You beat me to it.....

wayne kemp

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll take the other road goofyone.
The A pillar is right where you look. One other thing, the closer the A pillar is to you the more area of view it blocks.Especially on the right side of the vehicle.
As far as seeing vehicles NEXT to you (like in passing) is one thing but coming to an intersection where the vehicle is farther away I can see you getting a blind spot if you don't take that SECOND LOOK. The pillar post looks to be about the size of my F150 4 door truck. And I have to take second looks.

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll take the other road goofyone.
The A pillar is right where you look. One other thing, the closer the A pillar is to you the more area of view it blocks.Especially on the right side of the vehicle.
As far as seeing vehicles NEXT to you (like in passing) is one thing but coming to an intersection where the vehicle is farther away I can see you getting a blind spot if you don't take that SECOND LOOK. The pillar post looks to be about the size of my F150 4 door truck. And I have to take second looks.
That becomes the problem, it is not the pillars, but the drivers who don't take that second look.

Ol' Blue

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently drive a 2012 Chevy Equinox ... the A pillars on it are huge compared to most vehicals & I have no problem seeing around them. I find more often than not, perhaps because I'm 6' 4", the rear view mirror in the Equinox, & my 1500 Silverado at times, totally blocks cars on my right at intersections. For me, with no rear view mirror in the Elio, I don't see the size or location of the A pillars as being a problem. But I am not everyone.

Top Bottom