• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Could Volvo Scc " A " Pillars Work In A Elio

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Could these work on an Elio...?

The main problem that I see when driving my new Elio is the "A" pillars...

The wide "A" pillars of an Elio, make a couple of blind spots...

Like Paul Elio stated... it is like driving a Indy Car...But the "A" pillars are a lot wider on a Elio then in a Indy Car, I have never drove one.. But I have sat in one...

I am glad there is more room in a Elio and it will gets better gas mileage....

I understand that in a short time my eyes and driving habits will change when I drive an Elio for the first few times...

But, if this was a option for my Elio... I would buy it... works and looks good too...

Volvo has come up with a idea to help in this blind spot area...View attachment 3216 View attachment 3211 View attachment 3215

Here is what it looks like in an Elio View attachment 3214 two blind spots/strips...

I don't know if having these Volvo pillars would fail the 5 star crash test... or screw up the roll cage?

But, I would like to see these type of "A" pillars on my Elio... I would feel safer with them... What about you??

Not to late to put them in the P5.... hint... hint... pass the word to EM...

Proud to Be.. an Elio owner..#2225
I actually asked about the A pillars when I sat in the P4 and was told that the production version will have thinner A pillars. I forgot to mention that when I put my review up after the Balloon Fiesta here.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since EM hasn't yet seen fit to show a car in the nation's 4th largest city and one of the largest commuter markets in the world, I've yet to sit in one.:rolleyes:

But, judging from the photos and some of my experience in vehicles with thick A pillars, it doesn't look like too much of a problem. As others have pointed out, it's the geometry of where they fall in your vision that makes the difference. Yes, you're going to have blind spots, but they are about the same as in most contemporary cars - the only change is that right-hand pillar is going to be a LOT closer to you. Like any car, it's going to take a little getting used to, but they don't appear to block critical parts of your view forward. It's just going to be different.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Like Paul Elio stated... it is like driving a Indy Car...But the "A" pillars are a lot wider on a Elio then in a Indy Car, I have never drove one.. But I have sat in one...

I understand that in a short time my eyes and driving habits will change when I drive an Elio for the first few times...

But, if this was a option for my Elio... I would buy it... works and looks good too...

Volvo has come up with a idea to help in this blind spot area...View attachment 3216 View attachment 3211 View attachment 3215

Here is what it looks like in an Elio View attachment 3214 two blind spots/strips...

I don't know if having these Volvo pillars would fail the 5 star crash test... or screw up the roll cage?

But, I would like to see these type of "A" pillars on my Elio... I would feel safer with them... What about you??

They look great and do reduce blind spots (or at least visual distractions), but THINK OF THE COST.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since EM hasn't yet seen fit to show a car in the nation's 4th largest city and one of the largest commuter markets in the world, I've yet to sit in one.:rolleyes:

But, judging from the photos and some of my experience in vehicles with thick A pillars, it doesn't look like too much of a problem. As others have pointed out, it's the geometry of where they fall in your vision that makes the difference. Yes, you're going to have blind spots, but they are about the same as in most contemporary cars - the only change is that right-hand pillar is going to be a LOT closer to you. Like any car, it's going to take a little getting used to, but they don't appear to block critical parts of your view forward. It's just going to be different.
You are probably right. For sure about the left A pillar as that's in the usual spot. I felt like my vision was obstructed a lot more than in other vehicles because of that right A pillar. It cut across my vision right about the 1 o'clock position when in my other vehicles, that pillar is more in the 2 o'clock position. That doesn't sound like much but it made me want to lean forward to see out better. It was kind of like looking out of a box or through binoculars maybe. I'm saying that horribly and can't figure out how to make the point exactly. But, because of the position of that A pillar, I REALLY hope they narrow it down as much as possible. I'll get used to it if they don't, of course, but it'll take some getting used to.

EDIT: The right A pillar in my truck is almost to the 2:30 o'clock position. In my truck, the left hand side is at the 11:30 position (15 degrees to the right), the right one is about 30 degrees to the right. That gives me a 90 degree field of view out the windshield (with rain/ice/fog on the side windows, that's all you may have). The Elio, with A pillars at 11:30 and 1:00, offers a 45 degree field of view. That's quite a difference when safety is the main consideration. When in a vehicle in the rain, the front is the only one you can see out of reliably - sit in the Elio and look only out the front... It's pretty narrow. Those A pillars make a lot of difference and hopefully, as I was told, they'll be a bit thinner for production.

Last edited:

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Looks like a great mod for some talented welder, or maybe and "after market" kit :D

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
image.jpg

Top Bottom