• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Comments From A Mechanical Engineer

genebee

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Jim,

Please give your friend this link: http://www.rqriley.com/3-wheel.htm and ask him to read the article "Dynamic Stability of Three-Wheeled Vehicles in Automotive-Type Applications."

It will explain it very well.
I AGREE. People, be they engineers or not, should spend a little time reading before giving advice or opinions.
anyone who has not studied the dynamics of auto suspension really has no Idea how complicated it is.
In IMHO a properly designed suspension, a reasonably stiff platform and a relatively large anti sway bar to keep the rear tire contact patch intact,
will handle corning well, while retaining a reasonably soft ride. GB

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
He
Greetings-keep in mind that this is a tandem designed auto cycle. Tandem is narrow, the passenger sits behind the driver, not alongside the driver. With that narrow image, the rear wheel sits in the center of the back section. That rear wheel easily supports the rear of the auto cycle (and the rear wheel is free rolling). The front wheel drive Elio masterpiece with stability control will easily amaze you!
I could only wish to see your smile after you have driven your 2015 Elio:)
Terrence:)

Hey, you're preachin' to the choir here. I think the front wheel drive trike will be a joy to drive. A properly placed center of gravity is all that is necessary, and that's not rocket science. I would think a heavy rear seat passenger might change the dynamics a bit....

Joe Coppinger

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok I finally thought about "how to comment" - best configuration.. Wow another "bumble bee effect"... Two wheels pulling utilizing the same HP/TQ as one wheel pushing - this is simple - two wheels get better traction - yet somewhat slower and fuel efficient issues are at hand.... But Elio isn't designed as another "NASCAR" circuit (Bricktown Elio 500 - what a race - two tanks and 12 hours of mad cap montey python moves)

So "Morgan" did it right" ok for handbuilt with the price to match - gues that would leave most people on this site from owning one. Wood frame really provides confidence in an accident, the at least the Aluminium could be salvaged from the accident... wait did I mention 30-ish mpg ?

Granted a two cylunder with a top speed of 115mph getting 30-ish mpg isn't in the same class as Elio...

So exactly what's the real issue ?

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, Joe, the REAL issue is that we are all Jonesing to be behind the wheel of one of these little delights, and we are gonna design, re-design, question, discuss and argue (gently) about every aspect of the Elio until that happens. I imagine Elio Motors is rocking right along with designing and engineering without our input, but this forum at least makes us feel useful, somehow, to the project.

ClubJoe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When driving my 1959 Messerschmitt it will often lift the inside front wheel in a tight turn and boy do you know it when it happens. I am always careful because of it and learned allot over the 30 years of driving it. About 2 months ago I had someone turn in front of me which I avoided hitting by doing a quick maneuver around it but it caused the Messerschmitt to flip almost completely over. I was very lucky and only got banged up but I am now in the middle of doing some body work and restoration.

ClubJoe
Sunny Brandon, FL

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When driving my 1959 Messerschmitt it will often lift the inside front wheel in a tight turn and boy do you know it when it happens. I am always careful because of it and learned allot over the 30 years of driving it. About 2 months ago I had someone turn in front of me which I avoided hitting by doing a quick maneuver around it but it caused the Messerschmitt to flip almost completely over. I was very lucky and only got banged up but I am now in the middle of doing some body work and restoration.

ClubJoe
Sunny Brandon, FL

I'm guessing that your Messerschmitt is like, or is, the one pictured in your avatar. I'm no expert on that particular vehicle, but just looking at it, it seems to have a fairly high CG [assuming the picture isn't distorted], and super short wheelbase. Pretty unique looking though! :)

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm guessing that your Messerschmitt is like, or is, the one pictured in your avatar. I'm no expert on that particular vehicle, but just looking at it, it seems to have a fairly high CG [assuming the picture isn't distorted], and super short wheelbase. Pretty unique looking though! :)
Messerschmitt_Kabinenroller_blue.jpe

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
has the info been released as to if just one or both of the front tires on an Elio will be powered so as to literally offer 1 wheel or 2 wheel drive ?

Jim

Top Bottom