• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Comments From A Mechanical Engineer

ClubJoe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm guessing that your Messerschmitt is like, or is, the one pictured in your avatar. I'm no expert on that particular vehicle, but just looking at it, it seems to have a fairly high CG [assuming the picture isn't distorted], and super short wheelbase. Pretty unique looking though! :)

No the car in my Avatar is an all electric 2001 Corbin Sparrow and the 13 large batteries that power it are all mounted very low in the body. It never lifted the tires on tight turns and handled great. Someone else has added a picture of a Messerschmitt KR200 like I have.

ClubJoe
Sunny Brandon, FL

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
i hope a chuckle is the correct response to this post?

OK, I must not of asked the question correctly .... in the old days of rear wheel drive vehicles they were called 2 wheel drives even though unless they had a limited slip or positive traction rear end, only one of the 2 rear wheels received power .... the question I'm asking is, does the transmission send power to both front tires .... from the drawings I've seen that appears to be the case

Jim

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Whoa...yeah, that doesn't look very stable at all! Reminds me of a bumper-car with a luggage rack. Probably a blast to drive around town, and under 30mph.
that rear engine puts a lot of mass toward the rear. i can understand it wanting to tip a front wheel. it would appear to exhibit the same longitudinal stability issues as a tail dragger airplane taxiing,

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, I must not of asked the question correctly .... in the old days of rear wheel drive vehicles they were called 2 wheel drives even though unless they had a limited slip or positive traction rear end, only one of the 2 rear wheels received power .... the question I'm asking is, does the transmission send power to both front tires .... from the drawings I've seen that appears to be the case

Jim

Definitely not a posi, it'd buck like a bronco in the corners. Most likely a LSD, but I defer to Goofyone (resident expert on all things Elio) for the answer to this question. Not sure if they've even settled on a vendor for the tranny yet (Aissin...something like that.).

ClubJoe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification Joe! I've never seen a Sparrow before. What kind of range does it have? I'd lay money there'll be electric Elios cruising around in the next few years that you could add to your collection.

The Sparrow only has a reliable range of 25 miles before you start damaging the batteries. The ads for it claimed it would go almost 50 miles. I will definitely add an all electric Elio when offered but only after someone comes up with a better battery.

ClubJoe
Sunny Brandon, FL

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
[QUOTE="has the info been released as to if just one or both of the front tires on an Elio will be powered so as to literally offer 1 wheel or 2 wheel drive ?/QUOTE]
I'm only an amateur engineer. But, logic will tell you that if you've cut your number of wheels to only three you'd better have the front two pulling at the same rate. That goes for breaking too. Paul has mentioned computer controlled antilock brakes.
PS I've never really understood what a transaxle is but I'll bet it's connected to this proper wheel drive somehow.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Sparrow only has a reliable range of 25 miles before you start damaging the batteries. The ads for it claimed it would go almost 50 miles. I will definitely add an all electric Elio when offered but only after someone comes up with a better battery.

ClubJoe
Sunny Brandon, FL

Better/cheaper batteries on the way if Elon has his way! :D If they could manage a consistent 200 mile range, I'd consider one.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Definitely not a posi, it'd buck like a bronco in the corners. Most likely a LSD, but I defer to Goofyone (resident expert on all things Elio) for the answer to this question. Not sure if they've even settled on a vendor for the tranny yet (Aissin...something like that.).

that's what I was thinking and the reason I asked the question .... I'm looking forward to hearing more about how they plan to distribute power to the front tires

Jim

Top Bottom