• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Comments From A Mechanical Engineer

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
[QUOTE="has the info been released as to if just one or both of the front tires on an Elio will be powered so as to literally offer 1 wheel or 2 wheel drive ?/QUOTE]
I'm only an amateur engineer. But, logic will tell you that if you've cut your number of wheels to only three you'd better have the front two pulling at the same rate. That goes for breaking too. Paul has mentioned computer controlled antilock brakes.
PS I've never really understood what a transaxle is but I'll bet it's connected to this proper wheel drive somehow.

Transaxle is a transmission and differential combined into one package, and you wouldn't want both front wheels pulling at the same rate in a corner since the outer wheel has farther to travel and would cause wheel hop. And for braking, the front calipers/rotors are bigger since during braking, the weight/CG is shifted forward...don't want the rear brake locking up during hard braking.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"DEEP THOUGH OF THE DAY.";
I played the part of a mechanic in a movie once so you must know that I have a good understanding of the drive system for the Elio. LOL
I joke a little about credentials for knowledge in that a good professional knows that he is really an amateur and must maintain that teachable spirit of a student. It has always been the professionals that don't need instructions that cause the most problems.
Oh,,, You want an example? Just look America's foreign affairs. LOL

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I played the part of a mechanic in a movie once so you must know that I have a good understanding of the drive system for the Elio. LOL
I joke a little about credentials for knowledge in that a good professional knows that he is really an amateur and must maintain that teachable spirit of a student. It has always been the professionals that don't need instructions that cause the most problems.

Amen Folks! Learn something everyday! I'm 52 and still take courses and classes on what interests me at the time. The fact that Boeing pays for them is a big bonus!

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
that's what I was thinking and the reason I asked the question .... I'm looking forward to hearing more about how they plan to distribute power to the front tires

Jim
Not being a motorhead or mechanic, won't it be just like all other front wheel drive vehicles that have been produced by all major auto manufacturers for more than 15 years. I may not understand the problem (if one actually exists)

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not being a motorhead or mechanic, won't it be just like all other front wheel drive vehicles that have been produced by all major auto manufacturers for more than 15 years. I may not understand the problem (if one actually exists)

Should be just like you said. Proven technology, works good, lasts a long time. No problem I'm aware of, just curiosity from some of the members.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

its highly likely that it will .... being old school (some say really old, old school) all 5 of the vehicles in the driveway are either 4-wheel drive or rear wheel drive .... I'm not very familiar with front wheel drive but am really interested in learning

Jim

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, I must not of asked the question correctly .... in the old days of rear wheel drive vehicles they were called 2 wheel drives even though unless they had a limited slip or positive traction rear end, only one of the 2 rear wheels received power .... the question I'm asking is, does the transmission send power to both front tires .... from the drawings I've seen that appears to be the case

Jim
actually, both wheels received equal turning force from the differential assembly. if the driving wheels were making a turn, the outer wheel would need to travel further than the inner wheel, thus the differential would allow the difference in travel speed while still applying rotating force to both axles. if the traction was such that one wheel was allowed to slip, the drive shaft would continue to apply the same force but the differential would allow all the force to be sent to the wheel with the least resistance. another example: if u have a hotchkiss drive assembly in front of you, grab an axle in each hand and have someone rotate the drive shaft. if u r gripping both axles with equal force, u will feel both trying to rotate with equal force. if u loosen your grip on either side, the other side will feel less rotating force until u release either side, the other side will feel no rotation force. thus, the conditions when you'ed turn the wheel, pop the clutch and burn doughnuts with the inside tire spinning, squealing and smoking.(really dumb thing to do) another thought:(when the engine is turning and the wheels are not, your mpg is a negative number) another: (as long as the traffic pattern is 2d, it will never improve)

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Transaxle is a transmission and differential combined into one package, and you wouldn't want both front wheels pulling at the same rate in a corner since the outer wheel has farther to travel and would cause wheel hop. And for braking, the front calipers/rotors are bigger since during braking, the weight/CG is shifted forward...don't want the rear brake locking up during hard braking.
actually, the breaking should have the ability to sense the weight distribution of the vehicle and balance the braking forces according to the total weight distribution, like the later model goldwings do.

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
well if u appoint your donors to political posts as foreign diplomats when they don't even know where the country is located or who the leaders are, u can't really expect too much in return or if at all.

Top Bottom