• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Comments From A Mechanical Engineer

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I tend to favor, "I'm give'n her all she's got captain!"

Jim

Captain, the dilithium crystals, she can't take any more..............
upload_2014-9-16_12-35-51.jpeg

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The question I have not seen asked (unless I missed it) is who does this engineer work for? That might explain his/her responses.

he is a friend of mine, I don't know the name of the company he works for .... he has no hidden agenda, he'd never heard of an Elio until I asked him to look into it .... he holds multiple patents in both mechanical and electrical devices .... as others with a far better understanding of the physics involved have acknowledged, a 2F1R expert almost always differs with a 1F2R expert. .... he's never claimed to be an expert and is open minded to the point that he wants to stop by when they are in Raleigh in December, "because I would enjoy that myself. Might get a chance to find out why they reversed the whole three wheel design thinking. BTW, I have always been a fan of the idea of three wheel cars simply because they are not considered cars and don't need $10K worth of safety requirments." .... to me this thread has been a learning opportunity but the fact is, none of us have driven an Elio ....

Jim

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
he is a friend of mine, I don't know the name of the company he works for .... he has no hidden agenda, he'd never heard of an Elio until I asked him to look into it .... he holds multiple patents in both mechanical and electrical devices .... as others with a far better understanding of the physics involved have acknowledged, a 2F1R expert almost always differs with a 1F2R expert. .... he's never claimed to be an expert and is open minded to the point that he wants to stop by when they are in Raleigh in December, "because I would enjoy that myself. Might get a chance to find out why they reversed the whole three wheel design thinking. BTW, I have always been a fan of the idea of three wheel cars simply because they are not considered cars and don't need $10K worth of safety requirments." .... to me this thread has been a learning opportunity but the fact is, none of us have driven an Elio ....

Jim
While it is not a true three wheel vehicle, the deltawing race car @ LeMans really stood 'em on their ear. If you are not familiar, search it, cause it is really something.

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Jim

He said, "he's never claimed to be an expert", smart man! He's definitely not a Politician either!:D

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Goofyone, I am not sure traction control is all it is cracked up to be. I have it in my 2005 Scion Xb and don't like it. It operates from the ABS sensors and if a tire loses traction, it pulses the brake to stop the slipping. Somehow, it seems to also keep the car from pulling itself up, let's say, a gravelly driveway, or a slightly snowy drive. It might work a bit better with an automatic tranny, I don't know.
I by far prefer a limited slip differential, that allows a bit of slip, then locks the axles together. I wore out several Toyota Previa vans with all-wheel drive, which utilized a set of limited slip differentials, at the transfer case and the front and rear axles. That vehicle would pull a trailer-load of snowmobiles up a snow-covered mountain road and you never knew when it slipped a bit. It just locked up and went.

Toyota Scion & Previa aren't necessarily on the cutting edge of ABS, AWD or Traction Control technology. Not saying I like ABS in all situations but lots of technological advances have been made since these 2 vehicles were built. Audi is one of the recognized leaders along with Subaru and I wouldn't buy them either.

Top Bottom