• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Aptera

Samuel Gompers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Aptera is a great exercise in efficiency. It shows that 100W per mile is possible and simple math can show how much battery is needed for that 1,000 mile range. We've seen this type of innovation time and time again. It'll hit the more expensive vehicles first like the Lightyear One which can solar charge 31-43 miles per day while sitting in the parking lot at work. Then, it'll trickle down to more mainstream vehicles. Once the solar capabilities of the Lightyear become more mainstream, refueling vehicles will be more of an exception rather than the rule.

Regular commute and park outside? Never have to take power from our infrastructure. Long drive coming up? Recharge at rest stops along the way. Takes too long? Tough... part of having an effective commute cost of zero dollars (after paying for the car, that is). Perhaps between solid state batteries that charge in just a few minutes and super capacitor regen capabilities, it'll soon become faster to charge up than fuel up. I don't think we are far from it being faster to charge than fuel already and the future will just get quicker to charge while fueling up will never be much faster than it is today.

Exciting times, these are.
If one recognizes the monetary value of time, having to take an extra hour or two of your productive time each day to sit and recharge your vehicle is not "free". Assuming you earn ~$25-50/hour, that expense is $25 to $100 per day. Higher or lower earnings potential obviously affects those numbers.

Depreciation is a real and significant factor in the cost of commuting. If the operating cost savings do not exceed the depreciation costs, the value proposition fades.

The theoretical value of the Elio was more in the low base price, rather than in the promise 84mpg. On a practical basis, once mpg goes above 40-50, the cost savings are minimal, except for a very small proportion of drivers. The same thing is true for EV's. Compared to 10mpg gasoline cars, ev's are great, and may even make sense financially. Compared to 40mpg gas cars, the "fuel savings" may never pay for the depreciation losses.

Exciting times - yes. Almost there - no.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If one recognizes the monetary value of time, having to take an extra hour or two of your productive time each day to sit and recharge your vehicle is not "free". Assuming you earn ~$25-50/hour, that expense is $25 to $100 per day. Higher or lower earnings potential obviously affects those numbers.

Depreciation is a real and significant factor in the cost of commuting. If the operating cost savings do not exceed the depreciation costs, the value proposition fades.

The theoretical value of the Elio was more in the low base price, rather than in the promise 84mpg. On a practical basis, once mpg goes above 40-50, the cost savings are minimal, except for a very small proportion of drivers. The same thing is true for EV's. Compared to 10mpg gasoline cars, ev's are great, and may even make sense financially. Compared to 40mpg gas cars, the "fuel savings" may never pay for the depreciation losses.

Exciting times - yes. Almost there - no.

Where do you get that it would take an hour or two each day to sit and recharge your vehicle from? You would NEVER have to charge the thing if your commute was less than 43 miles a day. Lets say you live in the dark where the sun never, ever shines. You'd have to charge the car at your house overnight once every 31 days that you take your 16 mile commute (the national average). It will take you approximately one minute to plug in your car in your garage. How much time would you spend at the gas station to drive 1,000 miles? Oh, remember, this only matters if there is no sun.

Theoretically, the car should stay fully charged up with just being parked outside during work days. You could, in theory, use the excess electricity at your home by plugging in your car but that would require a metered connection so, that's not easy.

"Oh, I'm talking about driving cross country."
Well, kudos to the person who can drive 1,000 miles without ever needing to take a leak... or eat... or stretch your legs. I can't do it. I can comfortably manage about 650-700 miles but that's it. I could plug in whenever I'm going to stop for 15 or so minutes (those potty breaks) but shouldn't really need to. I could just hit the hotel (if it has a charger, that is... and since this is all hypothetical, I DID find a hotel that offers free charging with each nightly stay. How cool is that?) and let the car charge overnight.

Someday... you watch.

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Feel like driving 1,600 km on one charge? article from Electrive.com
I think a range of 1,600 km is help sales since it can go a lot farther on a charge.
aptera-symbolbild-300x150.png

I think the design is futuristic. I really like it. if the price isn't excessive, it would be neat to own and drive one; IMO.
article date / time; Aug 30, 2019 - 10:43 am

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Feel like driving 1,600 km on one charge? article from Electrive.com
I think a range of 1,600 km is help sales since it can go a lot farther on a charge.
aptera-symbolbild-300x150.png

I think the design is futuristic. I really like it. if the price isn't excessive, it would be neat to own and drive one; IMO.
article date / time; Aug 30, 2019 - 10:43 am
Too bad that the only place it exists is in artists' renderings. And no they're not funded. AT ALL. Well, the last I checked they were at $134,569 out of a goal of $2.5M on their funding page. I really don't know why everyone here is spending serious time discussing total BS from guys who took people's money and failed miserably the first time around..Even if they could get this thing to produce 1000 miles on a charge (which it won't do in our lifetimes), there's not going to be investors or a sustainable market for it at the projected price. Sheesh.

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Too bad that the only place it exists is in artists' renderings. And no they're not funded. AT ALL. Well, the last I checked they were at $134,569 out of a goal of $2.5M on their funding page. I really don't know why everyone here is spending serious time discussing total BS from guys who took people's money and failed miserably the first time around..Even if they could get this thing to produce 1000 miles on a charge (which it won't do in our lifetimes), there's not going to be investors or a sustainable market for it at the projected price. Sheesh.

Like wasting time and money on the Elio? Have they manufactured a car yet?

I think the Aptera is interesting. I like its design. I wish it was gas powered, hybrid powered or hydrogen fuel cell powered, or a combination fuel cell and batteries. I think it would be interesting to see what develops.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Too bad that the only place it exists is in artists' renderings. And no they're not funded. AT ALL. Well, the last I checked they were at $134,569 out of a goal of $2.5M on their funding page.
I never seen they needed to raise $2.5M. I did read they needed to raise $100K to $1,070,000. If they raise the $1,070,000 then they need another $20M to get to production. All of that is on their fundraising page. It literally says on their page "$135,069 of $100,000 - $1,070,000 goal from 260 investors."

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I never seen they needed to raise $2.5M. I did read they needed to raise $100K to $1,070,000. If they raise the $1,070,000 then they need another $20M to get to production. All of that is on their fundraising page. It literally says on their page "$135,069 of $100,000 - $1,070,000 goal from 260 investors."
It was in an article and was supposed to be a direct quote from Aptera. They stated they need $2.5M to put together a working prototype. apparently we've already got inconsistent statements from them. "$20M to get to production". Seriously? Are you kidding me? OMG. By all means. Be my guest and good luck with it.

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It was in an article and was supposed to be a direct quote from Aptera. They stated they need $2.5M to put together a working prototype. apparently we've already got inconsistent statements from them. "$20M to get to production". Seriously? Are you kidding me? OMG. By all means. Be my guest and good luck with it.
Here's the official Aptera Crowdfunding page. This is where I've been getting my information from. So, it's a good read. Shows the crash testing, where the money is going and the return on investment. They even talk about the $400M ATVM loan that they didn't get. In the end, $21,070,000 will get them to production with a $32M profit by 2021 and a $183M profit in 2022. So, I can see why this is the way to go because they will be making a profit before Elio gets to production in February 21, 2021* and need $390M less.

*Assuming full funding today

Latest Aptera info:
https://wefunder.com/aptera

Top Bottom