• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Apr 17, 2015 – Apr 19, 2015

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
a while back, there was a discussion on hood locks and it seemed the consensus that here come the lack of tech knowledge, but like they use on hot cars Mustang?, one piece on the hood, the other on the body, and a "wire" looping through them- for our unit w/ a small lock, I believe was the conclusion- small, easy to install, and inexpensive

I've seen pictures but never enough of a closeup to figure out what it really is. Just enough to know it isn't like the post and cinch pin used on the Shelby Mustangs and Cobras. If someone gets to an event, please take a picture and post it so we can tell what it actually is.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If anyone goes to a Elio show soon, it would be timely to ask about the insurance event. How many companies showed up and did they find out the expected risks which sets the relative cost compared to cars and motorcycles?

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've seen pictures but never enough of a closeup to figure out what it really is. Just enough to know it isn't like the post and cinch pin used on the Shelby Mustangs and Cobras. If someone gets to an event, please take a picture and post it so we can tell what it actually is.
They weren't on the E @ West Palm Beach -might wind up being an option- (installed, it will add extra weight, cutdown on aerodynamics, and added cost (LOL)

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is a picture (courtesy of JEBar) from:

http://elioowners.com/threads/thread-s-of-elio-as-long-distance-highway-machine.5263/page-11

141206-002-hood-pin-002-jpg.4653.jpg

There is a difference between latching a hood and locking a hood. I want to be able to lock my engine hood (prevent people from accessing).

Do you want to come out from the shopping mall and find someone has stolen the battery from your elio? Production American cars in the past could not be locked. Are there any today that can not be locked (usually via hood releases under the dash). It cost money to install hood releases. Car manufacturers wouldn't be doing it if there wasn't a good reason.

EM should at lease make available locking devices that can be slid in place of the sliding latch and can be locked with a key. I would certainly buy it and most people would. It does not have to be counted as part of the vehicle. It can be sold separately but should be available the day we take possession of the vehicle.

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score

http://elioowners.com/threads/thread-s-of-elio-as-long-distance-highway-machine.5263/page-11

There is a difference between latching a hood and locking a hood. I want to be able to lock my engine hood (prevent people from accessing).

Do you want to come out from the shopping mall and find someone has stolen the battery from your elio? Production American cars in the past could not be locked. Are there any today that can not be locked (usually via hood releases under the dash). It cost money to install hood releases. Car manufacturers wouldn't be doing it if there wasn't a good reason.

EM should at lease make available locking devices that can be slid in place of the sliding latch and can be locked with a key. I would certainly buy it and most people would. It does not have to be counted as part of the vehicle. It can be sold separately but should be available the day we take possession of the vehicle.
Ya know pistonboy? If they want in, they'll get in! Locking your hood would possibly mean you would have to replace a damaged hood, (if not more) and a battery. Hate to say it, but that is just the state of the country today. Pisses me off!:(

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was just studying the crash simulation GIF, and I'm not sure if this has been asked at one of the shows, but the A-arms kind of look like your standard stamped steel type unlike the P4's welded tube type. Stamped steel would definitely be a cost reducer (I'd assume), but would drop the 'cool factor' a bit. Then again, it would be a good reason to make some cool looking aerodynamic fairings to cover them. So if someone is going to be seeing the P4 any time soon, that might be a good question to throw out there.

Take a look at the r/h upper. What do you think?

eliomodel.jpg

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ya know pistonboy? If they want in, they'll get in! Locking your hood would possibly mean you would have to replace a damaged hood, (if not more) and a battery. Hate to say it, but that is just the state of the country today. Pisses me off!:(
It would be easy enough for a truck and three guys (maybe two) to make the Elio "disappear ". South Florida (Miami)is notorious for exotics to be in containers on their way out of the country, before the engine cools off!!
When trade restrictions ease with Cuba, watch 50's cars in any condition "vanish"

Reactions: DWR

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

This might be a solution for you.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...ooJxiH2GeBH63byUWtXPOd-wkpV70XpZXpxoCL3Dw_wcB

Might not be the greatest idea in cold climates though.
I might be a little more concerned about the SkyzMatic display being stolen.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Have you seen the movie Gone in Sixty Seconds? The Elio will be gone, battery included. My battery is more likely to be dead.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

These sell for about $30. It would take me about 15 minutes to install each one (less after I've done the first couple. I'd probably do it for just the conversation and maybe a drink. Bring your Elio by with the locks and a story or two.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-1472
Hood pins.JPG

Attachments

• Hood pins.JPG
    Hood pins.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 234
Top Bottom