• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

2015 Barrett-jackson Auction

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just found out that the Elio Tour will be at Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale! I am planning on being there! Anyone else going to make it? Woo Hoo!
I bought my ticket today, for Saturday Jan10th. So I can look around at the auction cars at 8, then drift back over to the Elio just before 10AM.
I'm going to bring both my AZ-Three Wheelers books. One to get an autograph ( or three+ ) , and the second to present to the EMTeam (or Paul or Jerome).
The first book has my Elvis Payne Autograph in it. I'm keeping tight to that one.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
While not set in stone just yet it is actually starting to look increasingly likely I will actually be in Phoenix the week of Barrett-Jackson on completely unrelated business. I am pushing things along trying to get there that week as after seeing it on TV for many years I would like to visit Barrett-Jackson in person and Elio Motors being there is merely a nice bonus for me.

I will definitely let everyone know if it does work out as I would not mind meeting a some of you for dinner or a drink one evening while I am in town.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Arilea,
Wouldn't break my heart to see you on the Elio Board someday.
Pretty sure they could put your knowledge and talent to use!
Keep the stuff coming here first though, I'm assembling a manual based on posts from you and a couple of others on this forum! :D
LOL, well, it wouldn't hurt my feeling either! But, I think it takes money to be on that board :-) actually any board. , I'd be happy just building manufacturing R&D projects.

To tell the truth, my brother keeps threatening to start an EV cyclecar business. Given some of the stuff he's now working on, it's certainly possible.
We'll see in the next 6months or so. If nothing else, life always has possibilities.

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Barrett/Jackson" names that strike fear in the hearts of many a housewife.
But, since you'll be there anyway, could you bring back a '66 426 "StreetHemi" Dodge for me, please. ;) Preferably Black. ;);)
Just don't say anything to Linda, I'll try that trusty "Oh, that old thing, I've had that for ever" line, worked before. :rolleyes::D

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looking at Gizmag today, there's an article on some Amphi-Cars selling at the auction this weekend. Needless to say, I'll bring my camera.

http://www.gizmag.com/amphicars-auction-marketplace-collectible-cars/35375/

What I found interesting in the article relating to the Elio, was this statement about the Amphicar, "Budgeting for 20,000 and achieving 500 a year sales is clearly a recipe for financial disaster."

It's actually a well known axiom for any mass production startup, especially for automobiles, "Never build more than you know you can sell". Even though I think there is evidence that 10 times as many people will buy an Elio at $6800 than have paid deposits, there is no solid proof of what the yearly average will be in the first few years. There is clear evidence that If you get even close to saturating the market, sales can collapse simply from lack of consumer confidence. i.e less total sales than an unsaturated market. One does not oversupply, ever.

I can certainly see it as prudent for EM to limit sales based on deposits. But I hope they build some percentage more, say 20%?

Part of me wonders if EM may try for the business model of deposits first, build later. Hopefully not always in a yearly cycle. Very much the bulk of commuters with the biggest need that will want this car live paycheck to paycheck and make decisions on a week-to-week basis. They will not always want to risk $100 on what they only might need in a year.

If EM keeps the reservations transferable, then some number of people will play the scalper game, reserving extra and selling off their reservations at a profit. The 20% extra will discourage that behavior.

I'm definitely going to learn a lot from the first year of production.

Top Bottom