• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Do You Stand Now?

Otacon

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Ok this topic got way out of hand. Newbie here just wanted to say that I am about a 7 on this right now as I want to see at least the p5 before I throw money at this. Of course I will be saving some in a separate account just to purchase one. I really really need this car to come through with all of its promises.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you are saying The state in which one is licensed rules on legality across the country then we're on the same page. Reciprocity, as I see it is, each state honors the state of origin.
YOu know what..........Now that I see what has happened in this nation in the last 8 yrs and especially the last week. I would not be surprised if the Supreme court ruled that Obama is due for another term in that the nation is in such a funk we need his leadership. Oh and I'll bet you see the flag reconfigured next. Let's take a pole. What colors should be in the new flag?
The auto industry was in a funk eight years ago and that seemed to have turned around along with the economy and a refueled DOE ATVM Loan Program, which relates directly to why Elio was able to move forward and with the ATVM Loan approval may just cross the finish line to production. Your thoughts on another term might get us the Affordable CAR Act. Your idea is growing on me. I wonder if there are any Supreme Court Justice Elio reservationists? Thanks.

Last edited:

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We ran flashing headlights for years and learned to carry the DMV printout with us, as we all got tickets everywhere we went. This did not work, just caused long delays. Don't argue with stupid people who have a gun and handcuffs. Just say thank you, send a copy of the ticket and copy of the regulation to the court. Paper the wall of the rec-room with the original. End of story.

For motorcycles only that has been fixed in many States. They are legal in Wisconsin . I don't think ELIO will have the issue with some traffic lights motorcycles have. Wisconsin fixed that two after 45 second and traffic is clear you can go. Last I checked IL is 120 second and must be out side an area large areas.
ELIO should not have any big issue meeting most nation wide motorcycle laws.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The auto industry was in a funk eight years ago and that seemed to have turned around along with the economy and a refueled DOE ATVM Loan Program, which relates directly to why Elio was able to move forward and with the ATVM Loan approval may just cross the finish line to production. Your thoughts on another term might get us the Affordable Elio Act. Your idea is growing on me. I wonder if there are any Supreme Court Justice Elio reservationists? Thanks.
Great that you and I Always keep our humor about this. Great Idea about affordable care act too. I'm sending a brochure to all the Chief Justices.

Last edited:

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For motorcycles only that has been fixed in many States. They are legal in Wisconsin . I don't think ELIO will have the issue with some traffic lights motorcycles have. Wisconsin fixed that two after 45 second and traffic is clear you can go. Last I checked IL is 120 second and must be out side an area large areas.
Can't argue with experience. Great advice about cops (many of them anyway). If you ever publish a travel brochure please put me on your mailing list.

Last edited:

Otacon

Elio Fan
Reaction score

Since you were mentioning traffic lights and how the Elio might not set them off a simple fix to this would be to buy some small neodymium magnets (rare earth magnet super strong) and this will trigger the traffic lights. Had to use one on my motorcycle to get the lights to register me since the systems out here use a magnetic field sensor. Yes for those that dont know flashing your lights at traffic lights doesnt work its all based on the magnetic field of your vehicle passing over the little lines in the road which hold the sensor lines.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since you were mentioning traffic lights and how the Elio might not set them off a simple fix to this would be to buy some small neodymium magnets (rare earth magnet super strong) and this will trigger the traffic lights. Had to use one on my motorcycle to get the lights to register me since the systems out here use a magnetic field sensor. Yes for those that dont know flashing your lights at traffic lights doesnt work its all based on the magnetic field of your vehicle passing over the little lines in the road which hold the sensor lines.

What we found with magnets is they don't really work. States that tested them rejected them as a fix for that reason. Another of those things that sounded good but did not work. If they were installed and worked the lights would have worked without them.
I thing the ELIO is big enough it should not be an issue. More and more your are seeing traffic lights that use the old system being upgrade and it no longer being a issue.
In many cities traffic lights can be controlled in advance by city busses and emergency vehicles. Milwaukee has been looking at adding that system to their busses, it would mean busses never having to stop for lights.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if everyone got this today; so in case you didn't, here's a Press Release about the Elio:

U. S. Rep John Moolenaar (R-MI) Introduces Federal “Autocycle” Legislation to Congress
Elio Motors Comments on How Consistent Rules Across the Country Benefit Consumers by Eliminating Ambiguity From State to State

SOURCE: PR Web

release-topquote.gif
Elio Motors is forging new territory here, as our innovative vehicle is unlike anything else on the road today. We applaud Rep. Moolenaar for recognizing this vehicle needs a new approach to safety and fuel economy legislation.
release-bottomquote.gif

Washington, D.C. (PRWEB) July 01, 2015

Elio Motors CEO Paul Elio knows innovation is the key to getting his company’s enclosed three-wheeled vehicle to market. That includes unique legislative changes which recognize the company is creating an entirely new vehicle category.

Earlier this week, U.S. Representative John Moolenaar (R-MI) introduced HR 2892, The Autocycle Safety Act, which creates the new classification “autocycle” for enclosed motor vehicles with three wheels. Similar legislation, S685, was introduced in the Senate in March by Senator David Vitter (R-LA).

“Elio Motors is forging new territory here, as our innovative vehicle is unlike anything else on the road today. We applaud Rep. Moolenaar for recognizing this vehicle needs a new approach to safety and fuel economy legislation,” Elio said. “We intend to build this vehicle to meet stringent safety standards. However, because anything with three wheels is classified as a motorcycle, some current regulations just don’t make sense. We need to be classified as an autocycle to meet the expectations of our customers.”

Currently 26 states have enacted or are currently developing classifications for enclosed, three-wheeled vehicles as autocycles at the state level. But, setting rules at the Federal level will ensure consistency when customers drive their Elio from state to state.

“From time to time, regulations have to be updated to keep pace with American ingenuity and innovation. Elio Motors is leading the way, but outdated regulations are blocking the road forward for the emerging autocycle industry,” Moolenaar said.

Elio Motors is developing an enclosed, three-wheel vehicle that is expected to sell for $6,800 and will get up to 84 MPG. The company recently announced it will build its fifth generation prototype, the P5, which will include a new engine built from the ground up by IAV and a transmission from Aisin.

Elio Motors, which values innovation in every area of its operations, also recently announced a crowd-funding campaign based on JumpStart Our Business Startup (JOBS) Act Regulation A+ which took effect on June 19. The regulation allows start-up companies to “test the waters” and see if non-accredited investors are interested in buying into the company. Elio Motors’ Regulation A+ information can be found at crowdfunding investment platform StartEngine.com. The prototype, the investment strategy and the legislative initiative are all visionary strategies important to help move Elio Motors closer to production.

The Elio will be manufactured in Shreveport, La., at a former General Motors facility that made vehicles such as the Hummer H3 and Chevy Colorado. The low-cost, high mileage vehicle has already been a hit with consumers. Elio Motors has taken more than 43,000 reservations for a spot in line. It is expected to go into production in 2016.

About Elio Motors
Founded by car enthusiast Paul Elio in 2008, Elio Motors Inc. represents a revolutionary approach to manufacturing an ultra-high-mileage vehicle. The three-wheeled Elio is engineered to attain a highway mileage rating of up to 84 mpg while providing the comfort of amenities such as power windows, power door lock and air conditioning, accompanied by the safety of multiple air bags and an aerodynamic, enclosed vehicle body. Elio’s first manufacturing site will be in Shreveport, La. For more information, visit http://www.eliomotors.com or http://www.facebook.com/ElioMotors.

Top Bottom