• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Do You Stand Now?

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The only state in the USA that has NO required motorcycle endorsement at this time is Alabama .And that will not be that way much longer.
OK, fair enough. I thought you were commenting within the context of licensing requirements for driving an Elio.

(so why are we discussing general motorcycle licensing requirements?)

Last edited:

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, fair enough. I thought you were commenting within the context of licensing requirements for driving an Elio.
Any State that wants to can say no special endorsement required to drive an ELIO within their boarders not a problem. But the authority ends at their state line.
I suppose there are some people that never drive out side the state they live in but that sure seems strange to me.
Once the ELIO is on the road sure bet things will change. Not a betting man but I would put money ELIO will go down in history as the three wheeler that cause new regulation to be passed by creating a new type of vehicle. Scary part is if the Feds then say it must meet all the requirements of a AUTO.
That could cause some problems.

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I suppose there are some people that never drive out side the state they live in but that sure seems strange to me.

I've been riding off and on for 25 years. In that time, no motorcycle I've ever owned has taken me more than 20-30 miles from my home. An Elio would be treated in the same fashion. To me, such vehicles are daily commuters, nothing more. If I'm going to hit the highway, I take something comfortable.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been riding off and on for 25 years. In that time, no motorcycle I've ever owned has taken me more than 20-30 miles from my home. An Elio would be treated in the same fashion. To me, such vehicles are daily commuters, nothing more. If I'm going to hit the highway, I take something comfortable.
In 46-47 years I have ridden 2 million miles on two wheels. Plan to put a lot more on . The ELIO will get a good work out

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I contend that if you're legal in your state of origin (not requiring a motor cycle license) that other states that require a motorcycle stickers have no jurisdiction.
They do if you are in their state, however most states if not all have reciprocal agreements to honor licensing requirements of other states.

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Francisco Pierre-Louis I got a question by the time the Elio cars are released would I have to get a motorcycles license or a drivers license?
Like · Reply · 1 · June 25 at 11:44am
Elio Motors Hello Francisco, we don't anticipate any states requiring a motorcycle license to drive the Elio; since the beginning of this year alone, Idaho, New Mexico, Arizona, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Kansas, Mississippi, Ohio, Indiana, and Connecticut have made Elio friendly laws. Our overwhelmingly successful legislation continues!

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I contend that if you're legal in your state of origin (not requiring a motor cycle license) that other states that require a motorcycle stickers have no jurisdiction.

Explain that theory to all of those from Alabama that tried that.. They failed. While that may sound good to you it is 100% wrong. All states Except Alabama require you have the endorsement for a motorcycle from the state that issued your license.. Alabama law will be fixed soon.
Reciprocity between the states is based on you have a license issued in your home state, with out one you have none and the is no reciprocity.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Explain that theory to all of those from Alabama that tried that.. They failed. While that may sound good to you it is 100% wrong. All states Except Alabama require you have the endorsement for a motorcycle from the state that issued your license.. Alabama law will be fixed soon.
Reciprocity between the states is based on you have a license issued in your home state, with out one you have none and the is no reciprocity.
If you are saying The state in which one is licensed rules on legality across the country then we're on the same page. Reciprocity, as I see it is, each state honors the state of origin.
YOu know what..........Now that I see what has happened in this nation in the last 8 yrs and especially the last week. I would not be surprised if the Supreme court ruled that Obama is due for another term in that the nation is in such a funk we need his leadership. Oh and I'll bet you see the flag reconfigured next. Let's take a pole. What colors should be in the new flag?

Last edited:

Reid3400

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is some what out of date but close enough. Many new issues have come up with changes in law and new equipment.
Flashing brake lights, LED light, flashing head lights. Types of plate mounts have come up big time the last couple years.
Running high beams with ditch lights ect.
When Wisconsin fixed the law governing ground lights it was done so quietly and fast no one even knew it had been done.
The bill was submitted passed and filed.
We ran flashing headlights for years and learned to carry the DMV printout with us, as we all got tickets everywhere we went. This did not work, just caused long delays. Don't argue with stupid people who have a gun and handcuffs. Just say thank you, send a copy of the ticket and copy of the regulation to the court. Paper the wall of the rec-room with the original. End of story.

Top Bottom