• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Waffling On Base Price. Can They Make $6,800?

What will be the actual base price of the Elio (excluding taxes,delivery and paperwork)

• $6,800

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • $7,000

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • $7,200

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • $7,500

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • over $7,500

Votes: 17 15.6%

• Total voters

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A motorcycle qualifying for CAFE credits won't happen IMO. Just like Paul Elio's saying he was working on legislation to classify the Elio as a car by the end of 2014 so they could qualify for CAFE credits didn't happen. EM can be profitable without it.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Big business will do what ever makes a profit, with relatively predictable risk. If the CAFE someday includes autocycles, and Elio Motors has proven the market exists, you can bet on a major brand giving it a go. For now, I think the profit structure and unknowns has them unimpressed and the whole category not even on their radar, not yet anyway.

But if they do compete someday, they'll try and segway into the more profitable customers, the ones willing to spend a bit more for something special. Usually that's the look or luxury kicked up a notch. And I wouldn't count Tesla out for a EV-semi-sport model. Although a sports version of a three wheeler is always problematic. It's not what a three wheeler does best. What a three wheeler with a cabin does best is what EM is doing with it.

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I always get uneasy when any company uses clever language and asterisks . "Targeted $6800" * " Targeted MSRP " . Small print is disingenuous .
Either sell it for your 8 year advertised price or don't . I would pay more but I will not hold a company in high esteem that trumpets $6800/84mpg and does not deliver the full schemozzle .

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I always get uneasy when any company uses clever language and asterisks . "Targeted $6800" * " Targeted MSRP " . Small print is disingenuous .
Either sell it for your 8 year advertised price or don't . I would pay more but I will not hold a company in high esteem that trumpets $6800/84mpg and does not deliver the full schemozzle .

I couldn't agree more with the small print .... over time EM has maintained their 4 - Must Haves and to their credit have refined them to remove small print and clarify exactly what they mean on their website and in their other forms of communications as well ....

Must-have 1: Amazing MPG
While other vehicles make their competitive claims within a few MPGs of one another, we needed Elio to take it to the stratosphere. As we continue to engineer the Elio for up to 84 MPG, we officially have liftoff.

Must-have 4: Low Price
It seems like everything just costs more today. Houses, cars, heck, even a gallon of milk and a box of cereal. At Elio Motors, we believe wallets need a break. A new vehicle targeted $6,800 base price is not just what people want. It’s what they need.

Paul has repeatedly, publically stated that they believe they are a about 3 mpg and around $500 short of achieving those goals .... my hope is they are really that close .... we should know more when the P5 gets out and about and know for sure when the E's are built and tested .... until the final production specs are available I can understand how they wouldn't have firm handle on cost .... here again, with the E's that should be known within the next few months

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more with the small print .... over time EM has maintained their 4 - Must Haves and to their credit have refined them to remove small print and clarify exactly what they mean on their website and in their other forms of communications as well ....

Must-have 1: Amazing MPG
While other vehicles make their competitive claims within a few MPGs of one another, we needed Elio to take it to the stratosphere. As we continue to engineer the Elio for up to 84 MPG, we officially have liftoff.

Must-have 4: Low Price
It seems like everything just costs more today. Houses, cars, heck, even a gallon of milk and a box of cereal. At Elio Motors, we believe wallets need a break. A new vehicle targeted $6,800 base price is not just what people want. It’s what they need.

Paul has repeatedly, publically stated that they believe they are a about 3 mpg and around $500 short of achieving those goals .... my hope is they are really that close .... we should know more when the P5 gets out and about and know for sure when the E's are built and tested .... until the final production specs are available I can understand how they wouldn't have firm handle on cost .... here again, with the E's that should be known within the next few months

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Big business will do what ever makes a profit, with relatively predictable risk. If the CAFE someday includes autocycles, and Elio Motors has proven the market exists, you can bet on a major brand giving it a go. For now, I think the profit structure and unknowns has them unimpressed and the whole category not even on their radar, not yet anyway.

But if they do compete someday, they'll try and segway into the more profitable customers, the ones willing to spend a bit more for something special. Usually that's the look or luxury kicked up a notch. And I wouldn't count Tesla out for a EV-semi-sport model. Although a sports version of a three wheeler is always problematic. It's not what a three wheeler does best. What a three wheeler with a cabin does best is what EM is doing with it.
Over the next 5 years there will be such a high percentage of alternative energy vehicles on the road the CAFE will no longer be necessary...........a good thing. I'd like to see Tesla jump into the sport market with an enclosed 2 wheeler like the C-1 or a three wheel tilter like a high performance version of the i-Road.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A motorcycle qualifying for CAFE credits won't happen IMO. Just like Paul Elio's saying he was working on legislation to classify the Elio as a car by the end of 2014 so they could qualify for CAFE credits didn't happen. EM can be profitable without it.
I can actually see a scenario where the government includes Autocycles for CAFE credits. Think about it. What is the purpose of that program? It's to get more fuel efficient vehicles on the road - to get Americans out of the Hummers. If they could "convince" manufacturers to support Elio, that does the same thing, right? Why would Ford support Elio? Why, so they could buy CAFE credits and produce the more profitable F-150s. Ford would then be supporting Elio by purchasing credits, the Government would get more people to buy small cars AND it would encourage other manufacturers to do the same. If Ford produced a car that would earn credits but doesn't generate much profit on it's own, they still could IF the credits made it worth doing.

The reality is that manufacturers don't want to undercut their own sales so they probably won't produce their own at a break-even pace. But, they may need the credits in order to stay in business themselves. (It'd be cheaper to buy the credits than pay the fines and it would probably be cheaper than gearing up a new line)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The primary purpose and goal is to increase the auto industries MPG's on cars and trucks. When auto manufacturer's fail to meet the mpg requirements with certain vehicles they can purchase credits to balance out the mpg requirements in their model line up. CAFE also serves as incentive for the auto industries creation and development of alternative energy cars and trucks (not motorcycles) to reduce overall fuel consumption and guarantee adequate future fuel reserves/supplies.

Using a high mpg motorcycle in the CAFE credit program defeats the purpose. The size of the car currently factors into the CAFE credit allowance. Using a high mpg motorcycle in the CAFE credit program defeats the purpose and will not (probably should not) qualify for CAFE credits. IMO

Auto Manufacturers are in the game by manufacturing hybrids and EV's. Toyota is currently testing their 4th generation tilting three wheeler EV which will likely make it to market. If high mpg three wheelers are well received by the commuting public, big auto will be in the game and not be compelled to buy credits from other manufacturers selling highly successful three wheeler commuter vehicles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom