• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Tough Sell?

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if there is a bracket of some kind that can be added to the front of the Elio for the states that do require two plates. I agree it won't look good, but it may be required.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know Ohio does not require a front plate on a motorcycle or "enclosed cab motorcycle". IIRC, you can even get away without a front plate on a car, if the manufacturer does not provide a bracket for one. But if there's a bracket, you have to have that front plate.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if there is a bracket of some kind that can be added to the front of the Elio for the states that do require two plates. I agree it won't look good, but it may be required.
I don't know of any state that requires front and rear plates for motorcycles; and that is the type of plate the Elio will carry.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know of any state that requires front and rear plates for motorcycles; and that is the type of plate the Elio will carry.
Perhaps MC registration and licensing requirements will vary somewhat for the Elio trike as a result of pushing for the autocycle classification.

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the government for some reason creates a new classification of Autocycle then they could perhaps require both plates in the states that require two plates. Since the Elio is closer to a car than a motorcycle I can see them also requiring car size plates. And yes I could be totally wrong. Just my 2 cents.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
If the government for some reason creates a new classification of Autocycle then they could perhaps require both plates in the states that require two plates. Since the Elio is closer to a car than a motorcycle I can see them also requiring car size plates. And yes I could be totally wrong. Just my 2 cents.
I do think I remember hearing EM say that the Elio will carry MC size plates; those plates are the same size as off-road UTV's carry when they meet the street requirements (headlights, taillights, stoplights, windshield, etc.). I don't ever recall any discussions about having car size plates.

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree with you. The difference is if the classification changes from Motorcycle to something else. If it stays Motorcycle than I agree there will be one plate and it will be the smaller MC plate on the back only.

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree with you. The difference is if the classification changes from Motorcycle to something else. If it stays Motorcycle than I agree there will be one plate and it will be the smaller MC plate on the back only.

the police probably won't get too excited about Elios with only a back license plate. The Elio will not be the ride of choice of bank robbers, drug smugglers, kidnappers or high speed chase participants. Perhaps if every Elio driver backed in to parking places and thereby foiled the automated license reader then maybe. On another note. When will spel chek stop underlining in red every Elio I write. 4th Q of 2016 ?

Top Bottom