• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Crossbolt"
Well...................The G1 Insight has basically what you described above and NO PROBLEMS. It has one of the most efficient cooling systems.

Willie

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Didn't see this posted elsewhere, but thought it was a good fact-oid....
From link
So Elio made its own. This one redlines at “7000 or 7200 rpm.” It’s had 300 hours on the dyno, too. It weighs between 150 and 160 pounds in its current form but will weigh less in production trim. The engine in P5 was mated to an Aisin five-speed manual transmission driving the front wheels. About 70 percent of the car/trike’s weight is over the front wheels.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In that same factoid, if I remember correctly, didn't it mention the engine has 55hp and 60 ft lb of torque?
The official quote of 55hp is a goal or expectation. The 60hp was what was actually measured during the first engine tests. I suspect Elio is waiting for more dyno runs with production manifolds and exhaust before they record an official hp rating.
At this point they could fine-tune for thermal efficiency or for higher hp, higher torque or with luck, all three.

Another issue, HP at the rear wheels is always lower than HP at the transmission input shaft. If around 60 is at the engine, 55 isn't unreasonable at the tires. Although 58hp at the tires would be better.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The official quote of 55hp is a goal or expectation. The 60hp was what was actually measured during the first engine tests. I suspect Elio is waiting for more dyno runs with production manifolds and exhaust before they record an official hp rating.
At this point they could fine-tune for thermal efficiency or for higher hp, higher torque or with luck, all three.

Another issue, HP at the rear wheels is always lower than HP at the transmission input shaft. If around 60 is at the engine, 55 isn't unreasonable at the tires. Although 58hp at the tires would be better.

Elio has zero HP at the rear wheel. :D

Just kidding...I knew what you meant. ;)

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score

"before they record official hp rating"- is they EM? What is usual motorcycle manufacturer's practice ?
thanks

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

......" I suspect Elio is waiting for more dyno runs with production manifolds and exhaust before they record an official hp rating."........
Raises the interesting question......
Will production manifolds be cast or welded tube since Elio has no foundry?
Which might be cheaper and give the most consistent result?
If it was there foundry it would be a no brainer, but since they don't have one which is cheaper per unit?

Top Bottom