• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On a webcomic site I follow, the artist is taking a vacation on a cruise ship. To quote him:
"I've been led to understand that internet connectivity aboard ship is something that is paid for in dollars-per-byte, in much the same way that my 1972 Buick Electra 225 (link: a photo of one that was not mine) measured its fuel economy in dollars-per-mile. For this reason I'm going to be disconnected most of the time."​
What a load of schlock... ;)

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sleeving a cylinder or three probably won't make much of a difference to anyone. It is harder to do than flame spray but is just as durable. It has the advantage of maintaining more bore strength on rebuilds and being available to local shops. The couple of pounds of steel in three cylinders also won't make much difference. I'm sure most of us carry more than a few extra pounds of junk in our trunks.
The thermal expansion or co-efficiency rate between aluminum and steel are different. This causes issues, as was seen in the 1970's. With the flame spray there is a better heat transfer also. Weight is a part of the equation. Ease of assembly is also part of it. The flame spray coating is harder than the steel cylinder liners. This in turn creates less drag or friction on the piston rings. This increases the performance (BHP) and fuel economy. There is more to this but I hope this give you the basic idea.

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know how many miles are on my car's engine. The odometer is broken, and frequently "locks up" at any 100-mile boundary,

But now I'm thinking of ALL the different uses for a used Elio engine:

1. Put it in a super-charged lawn mower for racing
2. Put it in a one-of-a-kind motorcycle (like those guys who will put a V-8 between two weels)
3. Put it in a home-built helicopter (provided you can figure out where to put the oil pan... :rolleyes: ;) )

Your ideas?
I bet your broken dash is the standard run of the mill dial dash. Now if it was the Elgin dash it may have lasted longer and had class. Ha!:D:rolleyes:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know how many miles are on my car's engine. The odometer is broken, and frequently "locks up" at any 100-mile boundary,

But now I'm thinking of ALL the different uses for a used Elio engine:

1. Put it in a super-charged lawn mower for racing
2. Put it in a one-of-a-kind motorcycle (like those guys who will put a V-8 between two weels)
3. Put it in a home-built helicopter (provided you can figure out where to put the oil pan... :rolleyes: ;) )

Your ideas?
I've been thinking that the Elio engine would be ideal for a Light Sport Aircraft. It's right in the HP range for light aircraft that is very hard to find a decent engine for. Specifically I'd want to build a tractor-configuration gyroplane with it :D

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been thinking that the Elio engine would be ideal for a Light Sport Aircraft. It's right in the HP range for light aircraft that is very hard to find a decent engine for. Specifically I'd want to build a tractor-configuration gyroplane with it :D
C'mon! Get real! Your evil plan is to build a flying car, isn't it?

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually, I'd be interested in seeing if that motor would fit in an old John Deere riding mower, so I can take on these bad boys:
American Racing Mower Association

Top Bottom