• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Back Seat...

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
images (4).jpg
For the most part, it seems the rear seat is integrated into the rear of the vehicle. You could probably remove the seat back (the fold-down portion of the seat) but I think the seat-bottom would be more difficult. It is, basically, just a layer of padding on top of the rear wheel well.
.. This is what it is on and this should be very easy to remove.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 8470
.. This is what it is on and this should be very easy to remove.
Seth is right; that rear section that is the back seat is also the floorboard, rear parcel shelf and rear wheel well/gas tank firewall; most likely the side body panels are bonded to it; so removing it would probably involve a saw.
The seat its self is just a 3 part cushion; base, lower backrest pad and the upper section is a hinged piece with a pad on it.
So if you're talking about removing just the pads I would put my best guess on Velcro.

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seth is right; that rear section that is the back seat is also the floorboard, rear parcel shelf and rear wheel well/gas tank firewall; most likely the side body panels are bonded to it; so removing it would probably involve a saw.
The seat its self is just a 3 part cushion; base, lower backrest pad and the upper section is a hinged piece with a pad on it.
So if you're talking about removing just the pads I would put my best guess on Velcro.
This has to be a very easy way of removal of the back seat because of installing seat covers and reupholstering for future changes.

Last edited:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure the seat covers themselves swap out easily (for different upholstery options) but the actual hard seat itself is integrated into the car. So yes, you could remove the cushions and the fold-down portion, but it's not going to gain you any real space.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
This has to be a very easy way of removal of the back seat because of installing seat covers and reupholstering for future changes.
That's where I said my best guess is Velcro. The bottom cushion is probably held in place by some heavy duty Velcro, same with the lower cushion; Just take like a dull putty knife and slide it in between the cushion and base to separate it; same for the lower back cushion. The headrest would slide out, and the upper rear cushion is hard to say how they have it attached without seeing it. I would say an hour to swap out the F&R upholstery covers (if you do it on a regular basis). No different than doing 2 seats in any small car.

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure the seat covers themselves swap out easily (for different upholstery options) but the actual hard seat itself is integrated into the car. So yes, you could remove the cushions and the fold-down portion, but it's not going to gain you any real space.

I am planning to remove the seat for long distance travel and to place items back there. I will just place the cushions in storage to keep them clean and safe.
Elio-Motors-Interior-shot15.jpg

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's where I said my best guess is Velcro. The bottom cushion is probably held in place by some heavy duty Velcro, same with the lower cushion; Just take like a dull putty knife and slide it in between the cushion and base to separate it; same for the lower back cushion. The headrest would slide out, and the upper rear cushion is hard to say how they have it attached without seeing it. I would say an hour to swap out the F&R upholstery covers (if you do it on a regular basis). No different than doing 2 seats in any small car.
I am planning to remove the seat for long distance travel and to place items back there. I will just place the cushions in storage to keep them clean and safe.
Elio-Motors-Interior-shot15.jpg

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you are really that concerned about it, I suggest you contact Elio Motors and ask them about it; they are the only ones that can answer that question without "guessing" at it.
Please let the rest of us know what the answer is so we can share it here.

So it sounds like it wont be a problem after all:

Hello!
Thanks for your inquiry.
Our intention is to have a three-point seat belt for the rear seat.

Best,
The Elio Team

Top Bottom