• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Results Are In!!!! Vote Early, Vote Often!

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree, then if you ding a panel you can buy a color matched one from the factory.
Or even spring for different color pieces, like the wheel covers in one color, body in another.
When I read that they were using the same panels as used in the Corvettes I figured they would be molded in color like the Corvette; BMW i8 does the body in cast colors.

Corvette body panels are painted . While they began as fiberglass, they are now a carbon composite. I've owned 3.

1962, 1969 and currently a C5

Dean Vette.jpg

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How would you control inventory when some colors would be in demand, and others might sit on the shelf.

Those issues and more. Because this is a "low cost" vehicle, even the cost of paint is going to be a factor. As I understand it, They will use a "single stage" paint (not, "base coat + clear coat") keeping labor costs lower. Because UV protection is in the clear top-coat, (and only in the more expensive clear coats) it would be reasonable to expect the factory paint to fade pretty quickly. This means, if your Elio is 2 or 3 years old, replacement panels will need to be "color matched" by a local body shop. My 2 cents.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Those issues and more. Because this is a "low cost" vehicle, even the cost of paint is going to be a factor. As I understand it, They will use a "single stage" paint (not, "base coat + clear coat") keeping labor costs lower. Because UV protection is in the clear top-coat, (and only in the more expensive clear coats) it would be reasonable to expect the factory paint to fade pretty quickly. This means, if your Elio is 2 or 3 years old, replacement panels will need to be "color matched" by a local body shop. My 2 cents.
Do we actually know the paint system EM is going to use? anything about its specs? Elio seems to have a good grasp on the difference between low-cost and "el cheapo", so I'd be surprised if there's no sort of protection.

Reactions: DWR

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do we actually know the paint system EM is going to use? anything about its specs? Elio seems to have a good grasp on the difference between low-cost and "el cheapo", so I'd be surprised if there's no sort of protection.
They put this in a Tech Talk long ago. I'm not sure what a dry process is for painting, and searching the web didn't come up with much either. Maybe someone here will know.

"Division 3: Paint Division — Priming consists of the dip process of the body frame for anti-corrosion and the color side for painting the body panels utilizing an environmentally friendly “dry process.”"

Top Bottom