• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Possible Futures Of Ev's And-or Fuel Cells.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
EV still have a long way to go; we are no where near their potential with the EV we have now. You could almost call this the prototype testing stage.
I saw in here talk about the Leaf; great idea, executed poorly. I read a story about a woman that had an early one; drove it to the airport, parked and went on her business trip. When she gets back a day later we had an unexpected cold snap and her flight was 3 hours late. This put her home when it was dark; not a problem she thought, I have a 65% charge, that will get me the 20 miles to home. So lights on, heater on, music on (of course) and off to the freeway. Going north on I-5 she runs into a construction bottleneck; adds 25 minutes to her trip of 20 miles. Gets to the south end of Seattle, 10 miles from home and she sees she only has 18% charge left, another 4 miles, the car shuts down.
So her expensive Nissan Leaf is now waiting for a tow; guy shows up and asks the problem, she says "dead battery", he offers to give it a jump but doesn't understand it's a total EV; she has to have it towed to the dealer to get it recharged and the computers re-set.
She get's charged for this because she ignored the warnings and let the battery go dead. She sold it 2 days later and swears she will never buy another EV. News outlets get the story and blow it out of proportion so now the Nissan dealer can't give these cars away.

I think Nissan really made a mistake offering it as a non hybrid, electric only.

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The prices are all subsidized by tax dollars and even more tax dollars subsidizing research. Still billions of tax dollars away for competitive price with gas.

satx

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The prices are all subsidized by tax dollars and even more tax dollars subsidizing research. Still billions of tax dollars away for competitive price with gas.

BigOil and BigCoal are both heavily subsidized, have been for 100+ years, and don't pay external costs their industries lay on environment and people. BigOil didn't pay for invading Iraq for oil.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
EV still have a long way to go; we are no where near their potential with the EV we have now. You could almost call this the prototype testing stage.
I saw in here talk about the Leaf; great idea, executed poorly. I read a story about a woman that had an early one; drove it to the airport, parked and went on her business trip. When she gets back a day later we had an unexpected cold snap and her flight was 3 hours late. This put her home when it was dark; not a problem she thought, I have a 65% charge, that will get me the 20 miles to home. So lights on, heater on, music on (of course) and off to the freeway. Going north on I-5 she runs into a construction bottleneck; adds 25 minutes to her trip of 20 miles. Gets to the south end of Seattle, 10 miles from home and she sees she only has 18% charge left, another 4 miles, the car shuts down.
So her expensive Nissan Leaf is now waiting for a tow; guy shows up and asks the problem, she says "dead battery", he offers to give it a jump but doesn't understand it's a total EV; she has to have it towed to the dealer to get it recharged and the computers re-set.
She get's charged for this because she ignored the warnings and let the battery go dead. She sold it 2 days later and swears she will never buy another EV. News outlets get the story and blow it out of proportion so now the Nissan dealer can't give these cars away.

I think Nissan really made a mistake offering it as a non hybrid, electric only.

Wow, what a story, thanks for sharing!

There have to be other incidents like this, when you can't just pull off anywhere in a metro area to fill it up with electricity. And in this situation, even if she would have immediately searched for a charging station, after getting home from a business trip, she would have had to charge it for at least 30 minutes. No one wants to do that. And, it sounds like due to the weather and construction, there would be a chance that the Leaf wouldn't have got her home on a 90% charge? That would have been 25% more charge to go 6 more miles, eh she probably would have made it home. But you sure can't control the weather or construction. Frustrating, I probably would have sold the car right away too.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Battery technology is lagging far behind most other technologies"

Not really, and the $100Ms, $Bs, going into energy storage research will produce batteries, capacitors, etc that suffice for the transport energy for vast majority of personal car trips.

gasoline and diesel fuel for transport will look as primitive and inefficient in a few years as horse-and-buggy
Not saying it won't catch up, but yes it is lagging at the moment. Cars that only get a couple hundred miles per charge and cell phones that only stay charged half a day with moderate usage.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
BTW, all kinds of expected improvements with graphene affect the price of new battery tech. If it pans out
this one is 99% savings (link) still, I don't know how close that makes it to interesting. Was graphene 1000x or 100x or % too much to use industrially?
When technology based savings combine and get applied, then this gets interesting.

In some ways the tech is moving sooo very fast, maybe only Elon Musk has the balls to apply any of it to large production very early as first adopter.
Big money usually requires stable technology to include the possible competition to the methods involved.
Now if it can be scaled to small industry, then things move much more quickly, !sometimes!.

satx

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"In some ways the tech is moving sooo very fast,"

Not fast enough movement to large scale implementation. USA needs to cut $200B out of the bloated, corrupt DoD corporate welfare budget and spend it on energy research, and "picking winners".

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
BigOil and BigCoal are both heavily subsidized, have been for 100+ years, and don't pay external costs their industries lay on environment and people. BigOil didn't pay for invading Iraq for oil.

That's funny. We didn't get any oil for invading Iraq. You need to listen to better news sources.

Top Bottom