• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Possible Futures Of Ev's And-or Fuel Cells.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here ya go, EV fans! Hot off the press from Phys.org. A battery technology that's better than li-ion, cheaper to produce and with none of the fire dangers associated with li-ion batteries.

Enjoy!

http://phys.org/news/2016-12-ultra-...e=menu&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=item-menu
Sign me up! More than the cost and weight gains, I'm looking forward to the reduction in battery degredation that solid-state technology offers. With no direct contact between the cathode,annode and electrolyte, there is greatly reduced buildup of oxidization.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sign me up! More than the cost and weight gains, I'm looking forward to the reduction in battery degredation that solid-state technology offers. With no direct contact between the cathode,annode and electrolyte, there is greatly reduced buildup of oxidization.
Sounds good, but they don't say the vector of just how much. Just say, -much- less heat loss, and only -more- for the number of cycles, and -more- for the density, and -less- for the cost. More and less could be in the 10% to 10,000 times (1mil%) range.

They did say closer to the 'greatest possible theoretical energy density'... but what is ? closer ? and what is the theoretical level?

If -close- means crossing the better part of the distance to 1166, then cool! Total recharge cycles are the other means to cost affordability.

And how FAST can these be charged? I assume less heat loss means more capacity to accept a fast charge. Again, how much?

I'll say again, this all has more meaning if cars are invested with battery packs separately from the vehicle purchase.

If it all becomes reality, a used 20yr old Elio EV sounds just fine with me! I just want to double check the 'cycles' meter.

Last edited:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There was another experimental solid-state battery (graphite-gel, or something like that) that was able to take like 10,000 cycles with zero loss in capacity. But it was a very low capacity battery to begin with, so not practical for EVs.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here ya go, EV fans! Hot off the press from Phys.org. A battery technology that's better than li-ion, cheaper to produce and with none of the fire dangers associated with li-ion batteries.

Enjoy!

http://phys.org/news/2016-12-ultra-...e=menu&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=item-menu

Thanks for the heads up, unfortunately this announcement leaves out all of the relevant information to make comparisons to current technology. Having the potential to outperform current batteries is very different from it doing. Always have to take lab based announcements with a grain of salt, and understand that to take a product from the lab to the consumer is generally a 10 year plan.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, unfortunately this announcement leaves out all of the relevant information to make comparisons to current technology. Having the potential to outperform current batteries is very different from it doing. Always have to take lab based announcements with a grain of salt, and understand that to take a product from the lab to the consumer is generally a 10 year plan.

Very true! But I did find this quote very encouraging.

"These results indicate that the developed LLBZTO garnet can be used as a solid electrolyte in an all-solid-state battery and contribute to the realization of a very safe rechargeable battery for large-scale power sources, even though additional investigation is needed in order to enhance the performance of solid-state batteries. The researchers carried out further study to realize solid-state batteries with high energy density."

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2016-07-garnet-type-fast-ionic-conductor-all-solid-state.html#jCp

Top Bottom