• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Pep Boys To Provide Service / Maintenance

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
well it isn't like a national security secret, and these are supposed to be out in a year? the one guy i asked went to his manager and even he didn't know what they were. I want them to be made as much as the next one and even plunked my $1000 down, so i am not one of those who call it vaporware like the plywood version of the similar design in the 70's. i just would like to know if anyone in the PEP Boys food chain knows or at what level.

Maybe you can start a poll and see if there are any Pep boys employees who are prospective buyers.

Tim,
On another thread here, I posted a conversation I had with a salesman at our local Pep Boys here in Athens Ga. and not only did he know but
he is "All In". :) So, there is some knowledge, just how far reaching that may be, I don't know but when the propitious moment comes, I assure you that PB will be ready.
Let's all remember, in the flogging of a successful nationwide chain, they are the ones in business and we aren't. :rolleyes:
They must know something that we don't. :p

Last edited:

Oldfarmer

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not a comparison at all, none of them do!! o_O:rolleyes:
The only reason I lump them together is that when PB had a store in town they were a parts store only. No service dept. So, I wonder how many of their other stores are like this. To be honest, until the Elio came along I had no idea that PB did service work. I had always assumed they were just another chain parts store like the rest.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
with a new CEO in place, it appears that Pep Boys is on the road to some major changes :

"PHILADELPHIA (Sept.10, 2014) — Pep Boys – Manny, Moe & Jack could close or sell as many as 63 Supercenter stores in the coming years, pending review by management to determine suitability for additional investment under the firm’s “Road Ahead” upgrade program."

taken from this link where more info is available ===> http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20140910/NEWS/140919990/pep-boys-store-closings-possible

Jim

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
with a new CEO in place, it appears that Pep Boys is on the road to some major changes :

"PHILADELPHIA (Sept.10, 2014) — Pep Boys – Manny, Moe & Jack could close or sell as many as 63 Supercenter stores in the coming years, pending review by management to determine suitability for additional investment under the firm’s “Road Ahead” upgrade program."

taken from this link where more info is available ===> http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20140910/NEWS/140919990/pep-boys-store-closings-possible

Jim
Interesting article and while it will be closing some locations it seems like they are focusing on improving service and the skill sets of its employees. All of this bodes well for Elio.

Oldfarmer

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When PB had a store in Winston-Salem it was in a rough area and an inconvenient location. I can see why they might have closed it. It wasn't anywhere near a major road, shopping center or retail area. Unless you lived nearby you wouldn't have gone there for parts (no service) with O'Reilly's, Advance, Autozone and many others (including some popular mom'n'pops) with multiple locations in much more convenient locations.
PB needs to do some serious research into demographics, growth areas, traffic patterns, etc.. It sounds like they're doing this. But to compete with the others, and all the service chains (Midas, Jiffy Lubes, Meineke,...), (I recently had an Express Lube put a timing belt in a Civic for $200 less than the cheapest quote from 4 other places. I never would have thought they even did this type of work), they would have to do some serious expansion.
Like one of the other guys in here said, many people have either never heard of PB or ever seen one.
On a side note: It seems like, around here anyway, that if an Autozone opens up on one corner an O'Reilly's or Advance opens across the street. Kinda like Home Depot and Lowes. PB may be missing the boat in this race.

Oldfarmer

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My last word on this whole subject (I swear!) and then I'll sit back and see what PB does.
Consider the population of the 3 city metropolitan area (affectionately known as the Triad) nearest to me, Winston-Salem, Greensboro and High Point. In 2012 we had around 1.6+million people. Not a single Pep Boys. This area is about smack dab in the middle of the state. Seems like a good spot for an Elio dealership too.

Top Bottom