• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

P6 ?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All good 'talk'; just remember that they still have to DESIGN, Build, and Man an "Elio Engine Manufacturing Facility" in Shreveport (were NO engines have ever been made or assembled before) that produces 500 - 1,000 engines DAILY --- BEFORE the first Production Elio comes off the assembly line --- in 2016!

........."DESIGN, Build, and Man an "Elio Engine Manufacturing Facility""...........
Design? That's what Comau and IAV will be doing. Comau probably provides the machines, IAV the specs and training.
Maning? IAV or Comau will do the training.
Foundry work will be contracted off site.
"Elio Engine Manufacturing Facility" -- No foundry, just milling and assembly.
Other questions?

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All good 'talk'; just remember that they still have to DESIGN, Build, and Man an "Elio Engine Manufacturing Facility" in Shreveport (were NO engines have ever been made or assembled before) that produces 500 - 1,000 engines DAILY --- BEFORE the first Production Elio comes off the assembly line --- in 2016!
Elio Motors will finish the engine on site, and Comau will be setting the line up. The engine will be cast by other foundries, Elio will not be in the foundry business.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know nothing of how prototypes work, but if Elio is barely able to start a P5 (based on it's March crowdfunding) and there will be up to a P30, what does that say for a 2016 production release? I mean, do they create 30 prototypes, and then the production model? Or produce a production model of the P5 or P6 and the other prototypes can represent different Elio cars that will eventually be produced? Seems like there isn't enough time to make 30 prototypes and still have a production model released in early 2016.
Why do you think Eluo Motors "is barely" able to start P5? Elio Motors has said the opposite that they were already under construction though PE said he wouldn't give a specific completion date since he was attempting to finish it faster than usual (he's learned not to give too much info) but within the next couple of months. With the frame jig, and, possibly, body panel moulds, successive builds will be much faster.

Past Fanatic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"........."DESIGN, Build, and Man an "Elio Engine Manufacturing Facility" (Elio Motors own term)"...........
Design? That's what Comau and IAV will be doing. Comau probably provides the machines, IAV the specs and training.
Other questions?"

--- Yes, WHO will cast all the required parts to make 500 - 1,000 engines daily? Hope Comau has a good 'design' since they have allocated less than 1/3 the area that FORD uses (and 1,500 workers) to put out the same number of engines. Who is going to PAY the foundry, Comau and IAV, and buy the needed machinery, since Elio Motors just 'scraped' together money to start on P5 prototype. Also WHEN will they begin the process..... Paul Elio says they need to BUILD 31 more IAV engines to finish their testing, and "Finalize" their design!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
the engine block may well be the only part that needs to be cast .... the rest of the engine components are off the shelf from existing manufactures .... EM, IAV, and Comau have the answers to that and the rest of the questions .... those of us on the outside can only watch to see how the process will come together

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
jEBar --- According to past Tech Talks there will quite a number of parts that are unique to the Elio engine. Block, head, cam cover, timing cover, possibly oil pan will all have to be machined and assembled in house. Plus a lot of internal parts. Fanatic is absolutely right about one thing. Most of the work in Shreveport will be the engine machining. Engine assembly and vehicle assembly will be simple once all the engine machining is done.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
jEBar --- According to past Tech Talks there will quite a number of parts that are unique to the Elio engine. Block, head, cam cover, timing cover, possibly oil pan will all have to be machined and assembled in house. Plus a lot of internal parts. Fanatic is absolutely right about one thing. Most of the work in Shreveport will be the engine machining. Engine assembly and vehicle assembly will be simple once all the engine machining is done.

absolutely .... my comment pertained to casting the block and other components .... it is my understanding and I could most certainly not have heard the latest info, the casting will be contracted .... much of the machining needed after the casting and machining needed for other parts as well will be done in house

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I heard Jim Kern of Task Research say, " There comes a time in every project when you fire the engineers and go into production."

AS A TOOLMAKER WHO BUILDS PROTOTYPE PARTS FOR A LIVING ,
I CAN TELL YOU THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A GOOD & A BAD ENGINEER
IS THE NUMBER OF GUESSES IT TAKES THEM TO DESIGN THE PART .

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"........."DESIGN, Build, and Man an "Elio Engine Manufacturing Facility" (Elio Motors own term)"...........
Other questions?"

--- Yes, WHO will cast all the required parts to make 500 - 1,000 engines daily? Hope Comau has a good 'design' since they have allocated less than 1/3 the area that FORD uses (and 1,500 workers) to put out the same number of engines. Who is going to PAY the foundry, Comau and IAV, and buy the needed machinery, since Elio Motors just 'scraped' together money to start on P5 prototype. Also WHEN will they begin the process..... Paul Elio says they need to BUILD 31 more IAV engines to finish their testing, and "Finalize" their design!

WHO is an interesting question. I've wondered that myself.
IAV did the design for the engine so I guess Comau will be laying out the production equipment??
As far as Ford, haven't been near one of their plants since the Mahwah plant in the early 60s.
As far as the rest of the questions, Do you have a need to know?

Top Bottom