• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

P6 ?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All good 'talk'; just remember that they still have to DESIGN, Build, and Man an "Elio Engine Manufacturing Facility" in Shreveport (were NO engines have ever been made or assembled before) that produces 500 - 1,000 engines DAILY --- BEFORE the first Production Elio comes off the assembly line --- in 2016!
Is the first production Elio coming off the line in 2016? It's still a few months out to the unveil of the P5, maybe around Christmas which is only a few months out. EM could subcontract the engine build with an off site engine manufacturing partner and phase in their own engine production facility in Shreveport later on.

userexec

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I'd think P5-P30 would be nearly identical in order to get all the crash, mileage, and road testing done acceptably. While there may be very minor changes to each as the testing moves forward and areas for improvement are noted, we're talking seriously small things such that the testing of the P24 wouldn't invalidate the tests done on the P5.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not willing to except never yet. Tuff road ahead but not willing to go that far yet. I really want this ELIO to make it. The failure Smart car got a shot it is ELIO's turn.
The reason forecasters say the Smart for Two hasn't been as successful as initially hoped is because of the limited demand for two seater vehicles. They are apparently scheduled to release the Smart for 4.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The reason forecasters say the Smart for Two hasn't been as successful as initially hoped is because of the limited demand for two seater vehicles. They are apparently scheduled to release the Smart for 4.
The Smart failed poor fuel mileage for a two seater. My Ford does better seats 4-5 and a lot more power. Transmissions are a failure. I looked long and hard at a Smart wanted it to work it did not. They only sell about 10K a year. If smart had gotten the diesel one into the US it would have had a much better chance. Those are getting about 61 MPG
The smart requires 91 octane fuel a lot more expensive than my Ford at 87 octane .
ELIO got it right if it is going to be small and a two seater it better give outstanding fuel mileage on 87 octane.
Granted the Ford did cost more but it also has a heck of a lot better resale so a wash there really.

Last edited:

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know nothing of how prototypes work, but if Elio is barely able to start a P5 (based on it's March crowdfunding) and there will be up to a P30, what does that say for a 2016 production release? I mean, do they create 30 prototypes, and then the production model? Or produce a production model of the P5 or P6 and the other prototypes can represent different Elio cars that will eventually be produced? Seems like there isn't enough time to make 30 prototypes and still have a production model released in early 2016.
I heard Jim Kern of Task Research say, " There comes a time in every project when you fire the engineers and go into production."

DanS

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think it's almost a certainty that somewhere in the P6-P30 line they will start building them in the Shreveport plant. Once they lock in the design and no more changes need to be made it will just make sense to do that. Not only will they be used for testing purposes but helping setup/dial-in the line for production to ramp up.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think it's almost a certainty that somewhere in the P6-P30 line they will start building them in the Shreveport plant. Once they lock in the design and no more changes need to be made it will just make sense to do that. Not only will they be used for testing purposes but helping setup/dial-in the line for production to ramp up.

to me this makes sense .... I suspect that funding will go a long way to determining when they can afford to start putting together the plant assembly line

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
P5 - 30 is what will be I production, the onlynreason to build these to test and destroy is to demonstrate the production vehicle will do what they have said.

Top Bottom