• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

P6 ?

Thomas Maule

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is it possible for the Elio to be sold while testing for safety continues? Auto cycle meets motorcycle criteria and Paul exceeds those safety criteria to boost sales later.

I think this is entirely possible, but probably wont happen... it makes sense to have the test crashes done before you start rolling off production vehicles for reservation holders... what if they have to make an important last second change?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think this is entirely possible, but probably wont happen... it makes sense to have the test crashes done before you start rolling off production vehicles for reservation holders... what if they have to make an important last second change?
One needs to understand, the production rate has to be 'up there' to get the price down. A large percentage of people are strongly motivated by the safety factor in this size of vehicle. They definitely would like proof before they will even consider reservation money.

For an example, even though the Smart-Car has a very good safety record and very good crash testing results, my wife still would not let me buy one. So I got a PriusC instead. She also didn't want me to buy an Elio, but I put my foot... held my ground ( forcefully ) on that one. She wants that testing result or she will try harder to hold her ground too. I think this is a more typical situation then one might think.

By marital contract, I'm restricted from motorcycles too. ( I want my Elio! )

So I think EM definitely wants those results before day one production. It's also an excellent PR milestone they can use as this progresses.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One needs to understand, the production rate has to be 'up there' to get the price down. A large percentage of people are strongly motivated by the safety factor in this size of vehicle. They definitely would like proof before they will even consider reservation money.

For an example, even though the Smart-Car has a very good safety record and very good crash testing results, my wife still would not let me buy one. So I got a PriusC instead. She also didn't want me to buy an Elio, but I put my foot... held my ground ( forcefully ) on that one. She wants that testing result or she will try harder to hold her ground too. I think this is a more typical situation then one might think.

So I think EM definitely wants those results before day one production. It's also an excellent PR milestone they can use as this progresses.
I like your wife! A wise woman.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver

Will throw in my 2 cents here... when we say "crash testing results", there is the crash testing that Elio Motors will do, and then there's the crash testing that the govt will do. For my feeble brain, I need to keep the two separate.

EM will do their crash testing before production, and the govt will do their testing after production by pulling a few vehicles off the line. Is this a correct assumption? :-)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Will throw in my 2 cents here... when we say "crash testing results", there is the crash testing that Elio Motors will do, and then there's the crash testing that the govt will do. For my feeble brain, I need to keep the two separate.

EM will do their crash testing before production, and the govt will do their testing after production by pulling a few vehicles off the line. Is this a correct assumption? :-)

Possibly; since there are no established standards for crash testing an Autocycle the government might or might not.
They don't crash test motorcycles and that's (at least for now) how the Elio will be licensed.
So it's hard to say. Paul is doing it to prove how safe the Elio is; a very strong marketing tool.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
AriLea, I am fortunate. My wife let me get a nice Honda 125cc scooter for work and riding around. Then she took it and made me get another one (unfortunately we downsized and had to part with them)! I think we're glad for the proposed crash tests to prove the safety of the Elio, but compared to riding a scooter/motorcycle almost anything gives more protection. Even a Citroen 2CV. Even if only by degrees. But safety is a huge selling point, Volvo proved that.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Possibly; since there are no established standards for crash testing an Autocycle the government might or might not.
They don't crash test motorcycles and that's (at least for now) how the Elio will be licensed.
So it's hard to say. Paul is doing it to prove how safe the Elio is; a very strong marketing tool.

That's right, I remembered incorrectly. Probably not the govt but a separate organization that will do crash testing after production starts.

All that said, if for some amazing miraculous reason, the federal lawmakers pass the autocycle law, all sorts of regulations will pop up, one of which may be processes for crash testing. One would think that will be in the distant future, probably years. :boxing:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
That's right, I remembered incorrectly. Probably not the govt but a separate organization that will do crash testing after production starts.
All that said, if for some amazing miraculous reason, the federal lawmakers pass the autocycle law, all sorts of regulations will pop up, one of which may be processes for crash testing. One would think that will be in the distant future, probably years. :boxing:

I'm thinking the Insurance Institute would be the most likely one to do crash/safety tests since they will have to figure out how to insure them.
I've talked to my carrier (Ameriquest) and they knew what an Elio was, but they didn't have any real numbers yet.
Part of the reason they knew was because the agent I talked to is an All In reservation holder.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since the government doesn't require motorcycle crash testing that testing will be done by EM privately. If EM is looking for a 5 star safety rating the testing will have to be done by NHTSA Standards.

Top Bottom