• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Okay....that's Strange!

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
contrails.png

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
First off, I've been working on or around aircraft since I was 18 (53 now), and have seen every conceivable kind of contrail. No strange science to it. Hot engine exhaust at a given altitude condensing/freezing leaving a trail behind the aircraft, pronouncement depending on the moisture content of the air at that particular altitude.

Four friends and I witnessed yesterday, around 5pm CST over the St. Louis area while sitting on my patio, the opposite of a contrail. The weather was beautiful. Relatively clear with some high cirrus clouds. My buddy Faz says, "Man...That's weird!". So I stand up and turn around to see what he's looking at. I'm looking at what can only be described as a "reverse contrail". It's as if something went through the cloud and sucked up the moisture in a perfectly straight west to east line. That was strange enough. Minutes later, and this "reverse contrail" was showing no signs of degrading, an aircraft (I'll have to look at the pics we took to see if the type is discernible) leaving your typical contrail is flying straight down the path of the reverse contrail like it was going down a highway.

I'll post the actual pics from my wife's phone and our camera when I get home tonight, but until then, these are as close to what we saw as I can get...which apparently means this isn't the first time something like this has happened. Any ideas on what could cause this? I'm at a loss.

View attachment 9452

With the aircraft running down the center of the dead straight 'void' in the cloud layer leaving a contrail looking more or less like this.

View attachment 9453
Possible explanations:

Picture A: May show a contrail in shadows below the brighter clouds above it in the sunshine.

Picture B: Going back a LOOONG way. It looks something like a ramjet contrail with repetitious compression and exhaust cycles.

Certainly it is not conclusive, but a possible explanation.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Possible explanations:

Picture A: May show a contrail in shadows below the brighter clouds above it in the sunshine.

Picture B: Going back a LOOONG way. It looks something like a ramjet contrail with repetitious compression and exhaust cycles.

Certainly it is not conclusive, but a possible explanation.

Okay...Here's a frame of the video my wife took with our crappy-ass digital camera. The aircraft creating the "lumpy" contrail isn't visible in the pic, but it's cruising along about the middle of the pic. The distrail was obvious, incredibly clear, and dead straight. That's what caught my friends attention. By the time we got a camera we noticed the aircraft leaving the strange contrail, and it followed it perfectly until it went out of our view. Note: We never did see what created the distrail.

As for scramjet propelled vehicles [supersonic combusting ramjet]. I don't think they're allow to fly over land due to possible sonic booms...well that, and all of them have crashed so far. :rolleyes:

Anyway...here's what we saw. It looked much bigger in real life.

distrail.JPG

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hot exhaust gases in the cold atmosphere, really an altitude thing I believe.

Quite familiar with contrails as is everybody on the planet since WWII [chemtrails as someone here put it :rolleyes:], but I had never encountered a 'distrail'. On top of that, the aircraft actually leaving a contrail, going from left to right in the pic, followed the distrail right down the center and left the VERY unusual "beaded" contrail. Too exact in their flight paths to be a coincidence, and travelling way too fast to be a commercial jet. Marshal just might have something there with the ramjet/scramjet exhaust theory.

And as for the "alien" angle, that's a different thread I started a year or so ago. ;):D

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Quite familiar with contrails as is everybody on the planet since WWII [chemtrails as someone here put it :rolleyes:], but I had never encountered a 'distrail'. On top of that, the aircraft actually leaving a contrail, going from left to right in the pic, followed the distrail right down the center and left the VERY unusual "beaded" contrail. Too exact in their flight paths to be a coincidence, and travelling way too fast to be a commercial jet. Marshal just might have something there with the ramjet/scramjet exhaust theory.

And as for the "alien" angle, that's a different thread I started a year or so ago. ;):D
I hate that alien hunters have co-opted a perfectly reasonable term in UFO. Unidentified does NOT mean alien, contrary to what the ET lovers would have you believe.

I observed a UFO at the age of 7 while looking for satellites in Pearland. Many years later I saw the same object described at the right time-frame in South Houston which would probably be the same object since Pearland is South of Houston. But seeing a UFO does not mean I saw an alien interstellar spacecraft. I had to turn on the TV for that.

Top Bottom