• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

L.a. Auto Show...gimme Input

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember a piece that said the line would initially start at 1 shift - 350 units / shift and build up to 500 units / shift, at which point they would split the force and go to two shifts - 350 units / shift (or 700 units per day) and build up to 500 units / shift (or 1000 units per day) and a five day week. That's where the 250,000 per year came from. They also had the length of time for production build ups but that's the part I can't remember.
See post #54 of:

http://elioowners.com/threads/invitation-only-event-la-area.6212/page-6

What I did not ask Paul Elio is how many units would actually be produced during this time.. The purpose of this "phase" is to get the speed up to 1000 per day. The production line would be stopped and started to make changes in order to get the line speed up to maximum. However the output would be less due to the line stopping and starting.

I had always assumed the 45 and 90 days referred to calendar days, not working days, though I did not confirm that.

Reactions: Ekh

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
See post #54 of:

What I did not ask Paul Elio is how many units would actually be produced during this time.. The purpose of this "phase" is to get the speed up to 1000 per day. The production line would be stopped and started to make changes in order to get the line speed up to maximum. However the output would be less due to the line stopping and starting.

I had always assumed the 45 and 90 days referred to calendar days, not working days, though I did not confirm that.
I'd assume working days. 5 days x 1,000 x 50 weeks = 250,000. The extra two weeks represent holidays.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
See post #54 of:

Thanks, I assumed the 5 day week because 52 weeks x 5 days x 1000 units per day = 260,000.
But there's that "assume" word again.

Reactions: Ekh

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I ass.u.me that all the questions asked and answered regarding production start, production schedules, and production numbers are 'EM assumptions'. The ass.u.me word continues to be an integral part of the funding, development, and production process until hiring begins and the factory starts rolling out autocycles.

I ass.u.me the P5 will be revealed at the LA Auto Show and also ass.u.me there is a possibility it won't be finished.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope you're wrong about that last point -- unless the pix we've seen are somehow backdated or are a second vehicle (we know they're building one), they've gotta hustle their butts to be done in 4 weeks. (The week is to allow for at least minimal testing and shipping to LA).

They have to be feeling the pressure -- all that detail, all that wiring, all those parts maybe not quite on time from the supplier ... sort of a nail-biter, for sure.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope you're wrong about that last point -- unless the pix we've seen are somehow backdated or are a second vehicle (we know they're building one), they've gotta hustle their butts to be done in 4 weeks. (The week is to allow for at least minimal testing and shipping to LA).

They have to be feeling the pressure -- all that detail, all that wiring, all those parts maybe not quite on time from the supplier ... sort of a nail-biter, for sure.
I think as long as the engine is actually IN the car and the visible pieces are all in place and painted, they will at least be able to have it on display.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think as long as the engine is actually IN the car and the visible pieces are all in place and painted, they will at least be able to have it on display.
I will be dissapointed if it isn't a complete and track tested P5. A shell of a P5 in 20 + weeks from a professional prototype builder doesn't seem likely. I ass.u.me a completed P5 in all it's awesomeness.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think they'll have it running, maybe even completed in detail -- but no one's going to get a lot of sleep between now and then. And you know they're not going to want to leave all those sensor leads hanging out when they show off their new baby.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at the photos they have released so far; my professional guess is that there has only been 1 or maybe 2 people working on it.
If they put a crew of people (like 6 to 8) on finishing the P5 there would be no problem finishing it in the next 3 to 4 weeks.
Leaving 1 or maybe 2 people on it would make it difficult to finish in that same time line but not impossible.
I've built show vehicles in what seemed like impossible time lines, but they were all finished on time; I was exhausted, but it was delivered on time.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looking at the photos they have released so far; my professional guess is that there has only been 1 or maybe 2 people working on it.
If they put a crew of people (like 6 to 8) on finishing the P5 there would be no problem finishing it in the next 3 to 4 weeks.
Leaving 1 or maybe 2 people on it would make it difficult to finish in that same time line but not impossible.
I've built show vehicles in what seemed like impossible time lines, but they were all finished on time; I was exhausted, but it was delivered on time.
It will help when they get the undercarriage and suspension stuff fitted and the engine locked down. Then they can put the wheels on and move it to a bit more roomy space where a few people could actually do things more quickly. For instance, we know the body panels have to come off again -- they're surely not going to paint them in place. Are they? And while the body's apart they can run the wiring along the space frame much more easily, hopefully leaving final details of assembly as more or less plug-and-play.

I'm speculating, but I'd think the order would be:
complete trial assembly (what we're seeing now). Take it apart, then

Coat the chassis (they might omit this since this car isn't going to bop around outdoors for 100,000 miles)
Bolt down the engine
Assemble front suspension, steering, and related accessory assemblies
Fit the rear suspension and wheel
Fit the brakes
Fit the exhaust
Run the wiring
Install the seats
Assemble the body panels (which have been painted by now)
Install headliner, "options" (rear view camera for instance)
Install instrument panel (ugh)
Install any remaining electrical components
Install windows, windshield, seat belts, windshield wiper, all other accessories
Install whatever I've forgotten (and hope they haven't forgotten it too!)
At some point in there they'll have to start the engine, probably before getting too far along with the final assembly.
Wash, wax, and hand Paul the keys. (He's not going to be able to resist taking official delivery and trying the darn thing.)
Write check for a million or so. Smile.

Last edited:
Top Bottom