• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Jebar's 2015 Nascar Thread

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For pure stats, going all the way back, and including non-NASCAR racing, www.racing-reference.info is the place. Jayski is good for at least a daily visit. the NASCAR.com website is to multimedia heavy for a guy like me that grew up getting ink stains from his news, but I guess it works for the younger crowd.

I started watching NASCAR races after getting hooked on the local dirt track by one of my uncles at a young age, Wide World of Sports and the occasional TV race were treats to me, even if I did have to fight my brothers that wanted to watch baseball to see it. When I joined the Army, I got cable in my room in the barracks just for TNN and ESPN. I got to see my first live race in 1992, the spring Busch race at Atlanta. I didn't get back to another race till 2004, but have been to at least one and usually a couple each year.

I've been a GM guy my whole life, started cheering for Yarborough, then Earnhardt, Earnhardt Jr, and now Austin Dillon as well. Really, the older I get though, the more I watch just for good racing, and a good finish by "my" guys is secondary. Heck, I even root for home state guy Kenseth if he's got a chance at the checkers, even though he drives one of them evil Furrin cars.

I can't wait for the season to get going, just under 19 days from right now we'll see the green flag waving at Daytona. Planning to go to Texas in April this year, always hit the Nat...err Xfinity race at Iowa in May, and might squeeze in Road America and / or Chicago later in the year if money and time allow.

Yup, I'm a NASCAR nut.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For pure stats, going all the way back, and including non-NASCAR racing, www.racing-reference.info is the place. Jayski is good for at least a daily visit. the NASCAR.com website is to multimedia heavy for a guy like me that grew up getting ink stains from his news, but I guess it works for the younger crowd.
I can't stand their site. WAY to media heavy.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ok...I am reaching here but I thought about this the other day.

Does UPS sponsor a NASCAR driver ?

If so why ?

You have a company that profits itself hugely on eliminating left turns on its delivery routes, but is participating in a sport of going fast and turning left :D.
United States Postal Service pays for a Tour de France team (read big bucks)- taxpayer expense?
How about the branches of the armed services putting out (taxpayer) ads ? yea to avoid a draft, but the draft would get us out of all the crap we shouldn't be involved in
I never watch NASCAR, but a wild guess- non-profits and government branches are painted on the cars?
Is it a political statement they're always turning left? Seems to attract a more conservative crowd, thought they'd turn right-lol

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
United States Postal Service pays for a Tour de France team (read big bucks)- taxpayer expense?
How about the branches of the armed services putting out (taxpayer) ads ? yea to avoid a draft, but the draft would get us out of all the crap we shouldn't be involved in
I never watch NASCAR, but a wild guess- non-profits and government branches are painted on the cars?
Is it a political statement they're always turning left? Seems to attract a more conservative crowd, thought they'd turn right-lol
The armed services were common, most notably the Army National Guard on Dale Earnhardt Jr's car. The military also had long standing relationships in drag racing.

As of this year, all that is gone now. You can find stats to support either side of the argument of whether it was worth the investment. I personally beleive it was.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ok...I am reaching here but I thought about this the other day.

Does UPS sponsor a NASCAR driver ?

If so why ?

You have a company that profits itself hugely on eliminating left turns on its delivery routes, but is participating in a sport of going fast and turning left :D.
UPS is not a sponsor currently, but they used to be big. Back in the early 2000s they had a "Race the truck Dale" ad campaign that was darn good, basically trying to convince their driver, Dale Jarrett to use a UPS truck instead of his race car. There were a bunch of funny ads that can likely be found on YouTube.

FedEx does sponsor the 11 car that Denny Hamlin drives.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
if last night's Sprint Unlimited is any indication, next Sunday's Daytona 500 should be a wild one .... 25 cars were invited, 12 finished .... Jr finished 9th and Danica finished 10th .... Edwards didn't look bad in his new ride .... Tony was the first driver this season called in by NASCAR for a chat ... :)

Top Bottom