• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I've Actually Sat In The Elio And Here Is One Thing I Would Change!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

Got ya! Yesterday you posted....

Can we get back on topic now?

Topic is: "I've Actually Sat In The Elio And Here Is One Thing I Would Change!"

and here you are doing it yourself. For shame! :rolleyes:

All is forgiven. We are all enthusiastic about cars or we wouldn't be on this forum.

Considering there are 45,000 people already wanting to buy the Elio, and considering the relatively small percentage who participate on this site, I kind of feel the more posts the better... even if we do stray a little. It's all in good fun and a few posts with dribble is better than no posts at all. That's why I've make several post in the Elio Humor thread! This forum could use more content.

About that new E-Type. I not a regular viewer of Top Gear, but I did see a clip of the character who stars in it test driving the car. He loved it, and, if I'm not mistaken, I think he said the one he was testing was close to half a million. Cool car but horrible price. If you want to see aother modern E-Type beauty click on this link.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=424686
I wasn't posting pictures; I simply added some detail to your Off Topic subject in the hopes that you would finally move along and go back on topic.

Apparently it didn't help.

And the number Jeremy quoted was 500,000 English pounds sterling (I did watch Top Gear all the time :becky:)

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
etype.jpg

This one?

http://www.topgear.com/videos/jeremy-clarkson/jeremy-drives-e-type-part-22-series-17-episode-1

EastCoastCentralFla

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. I even said as much in my original post here. But, after sitting in the Elio, it was the only thing I would probably be irritated by... Oh, I think the seatbelt was over the left shoulder which would just get in the way everyday I got my backpack out of the back seat.

The seatbelt thing stuck out like a sore thumb. When you have the option to have it come over from the non-door side and buckle on the door side you get two obvious benefits. 1. when you're not using it access to the backseat would not also involve negotiating and wrestling with a hanging seat belt. Such a blessing. 2. In case of an incapacitated driver, rescue would greatly be aided if the buckle release were right there with the open door versus searching for it somewhere over on the other side of the driver.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The seatbelt thing stuck out like a sore thumb. When you have the option to have it come over from the non-door side and buckle on the door side you get two obvious benefits. 1. when you're not using it access to the backseat would not also involve negotiating and wrestling with a hanging seat belt. Such a blessing. 2. In case of an incapacitated driver, rescue would greatly be aided if the buckle release were right there with the open door versus searching for it somewhere over on the other side of the driver.

they have stated the driver's seat shoulder harness will be anchored on the off door (right) side .... they were considering a harness for the rear seat but I haven't heard if a final decision on that has been made

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you've ever had to wrestle with the shoulder belt harness while entering the backseat of a coupe, the benefit of locating the driver's harness on the right side, away from the door. The only viable alternative would be to mount it to the seat as in many convertibles, but the weight, bulk, and expense required to reinforce the seat structure would be prohibitive in the Elio. It may take a little practice, getting used to the "backward" operation of the harness, but well worth it to clear the doorway.

I've mentioned this before, but being able to open the back windows would be a valuable option (now available, I understand), not just for the rear seat passenger, but combined with opening one or both front windows, to provide rapid air extraction to move heat out of the cabin after getting underway from a few hours parked in the sun. Rather than the expense and bulk of electric actuators would let you move the windows a couple inches out at the trailing edge and allowing you to close them after a couple of minutes on the road. I'd recommend a set of push-pull cables, as once used on minivans. These lever operators could be located near the right armrest and pulled up or pushed down to open and close the rear windows from the front seat at minimal cost or design modification.

In a few years the whole Elgin dash controversy may be resolved by eliminating most of the dashboard instruments anyway, moving the display to a pair of driving glasses. The successor to the Heads-Up-Display in fighter aircraft has been the Helmet Mounted Display System, that projects critical flight data onto the pilot's helmet visor. The advantage is that he doesn't have to look forward anymore to view his instruments displayed on the windscreen - no matter where he looks, the information is before him.

Newer Helmet Mounted Cueing systems are now being used to target weapons as well - which could be useful for correcting left-lane bandits - when installed with a proper weapons suite. But it could also be used to shift your view to cameras mounted in your blind spots - left, right, and center rear, by simply turning your head in that direction.

Based on some recent experience with phone-distracted pedestrians, it looks like drivers in the future may well need enhanced situational awareness - as well as good insurance and a good lawyer. Maybe the Bard was onto something when in The Tempest he has Miranda say, "O brave new world, That has such people in't!" ;)

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you've ever had to wrestle with the shoulder belt harness while entering the backseat of a coupe, the benefit of locating the driver's harness on the right side, away from the door. The only viable alternative would be to mount it to the seat as in many convertibles, but the weight, bulk, and expense required to reinforce the seat structure would be prohibitive in the Elio. It may take a little practice, getting used to the "backward" operation of the harness, but well worth it to clear the doorway.

I've mentioned this before, but being able to open the back windows would be a valuable option (now available, I understand), not just for the rear seat passenger, but combined with opening one or both front windows, to provide rapid air extraction to move heat out of the cabin after getting underway from a few hours parked in the sun. Rather than the expense and bulk of electric actuators would let you move the windows a couple inches out at the trailing edge and allowing you to close them after a couple of minutes on the road. I'd recommend a set of push-pull cables, as once used on minivans. These lever operators could be located near the right armrest and pulled up or pushed down to open and close the rear windows from the front seat at minimal cost or design modification.

In a few years the whole Elgin dash controversy may be resolved by eliminating most of the dashboard instruments anyway, moving the display to a pair of driving glasses. The successor to the Heads-Up-Display in fighter aircraft has been the Helmet Mounted Display System, that projects critical flight data onto the pilot's helmet visor. The advantage is that he doesn't have to look forward anymore to view his instruments displayed on the windscreen - no matter where he looks, the information is before him.

Newer Helmet Mounted Cueing systems are now being used to target weapons as well - which could be useful for correcting left-lane bandits - when installed with a proper weapons suite. But it could also be used to shift your view to cameras mounted in your blind spots - left, right, and center rear, by simply turning your head in that direction.

Based on some recent experience with phone-distracted pedestrians, it looks like drivers in the future may well need enhanced situational awareness - as well as good insurance and a good lawyer. Maybe the Bard was onto something when in The Tempest he has Miranda say, "O brave new world, That has such people in't!" ;)

I'm sorry, but I don't want to wear a helmet and I also don't want to have all those reading in front of my face all the time. :(

Reactions: Ekh

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And they still build it; there's a car company that is building a car that is identical to the E-type but it has the majority of flaws fixed plus it has some new tech where they could sneak it in. I think they start at $1,000,000.00 and go up from there.
I want one!

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wasn't posting pictures; I simply added some detail to your Off Topic subject in the hopes that you would finally move along and go back on topic.

Apparently it didn't help.

And the number Jeremy quoted was 500,000 English pounds sterling (I did watch Top Gear all the time :becky:)

http://www.topgear.com/videos/jeremy-clarkson/jeremy-drives-e-type-part-22-series-17-episode-1

THAT is the most brilliant bit of staging EVER. Not only is the "new" e-type truly beautiful on every level, the extravaganza birthday party for the E-type is wonderfully staged -- all leading up to ....."it won't start!" How very, very British. It's all true -- magnificent origins, magnificent reinterpretation, and hilarious punchline. Rule Brittania!

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I like the E-type, but since I was a British Import car mechanic, I have these bad memories of that car; the electrical was the biggest headache.
Replacing rear disk rotors was a nightmare (Independent rear suspension with inboard disk brakes) You had to remove the entire rear end, then disassemble it to get to them. English cars use good parts (sometimes) put together poorly; and at that time in England you either knew how to work on your own car, or your neighbor did and they all required constant maintenance.

Personally, I just drool over the new F-type coupe; it has some of the sexiest lines on a car in a very long time.

Top Bottom