• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Funding Refused By Paul Elio

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I find the entire issue of vacations a total waste of time.
Before I retired after 35 years my company gave me 5 weeks paid vacation 2 of which I could take a day at a time.
There were no fixed number of paid sick days or paid personal days. Those days were a discretionary issue.
The only thing I ever heard about the amount of time I took off was from my employees.
They questioned why I didn't take more time off when my mother died. They didn't think I took enough time.
I told them I took as much as I needed to deal with the funeral and legal issues, and that taking more wouldn't accomplish anything.
Note: It was a 4 day weekend (Thur thru Sunday) She passed early (1AM) Thursday morning. I also took that Monday off to deal with the will. Everything took place 300 miles from my home during the winter. Returned to work Tuesday.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nothing like wealthy investors with their own egos to ruin a singular vision. More than one great company has been ruined by the demands of investors (*cough* GM *cough*).

If what you say is true (possible, but I personally doubt it even given the thrice-removed hearsay evidence), then good for Paul. I want him to have total control to keep the vision pure. I don't want it watered down with two doors, hybrid drive train, diesel, electric option, dealers, or any other nonsense. I want all-gas, direct sales, one door, manual, in Red Hot please.
I almost agree with you. The first edition and the vision must be kept pure to achieve the goal. If it succeeds, that will be the time to introduce Dragon II, the two door model. Until then, we should run with the Paul Elio development. I want mine in creamsicle.

DanS

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I almost agree with you. The first edition and the vision must be kept pure to achieve the goal. If it succeeds, that will be the time to introduce Dragon II, the two door model. Until then, we should run with the Paul Elio development. I want mine in creamsicle.
I don't like the name Dragon for the Elio. I can see the Trolls having way too much fun with that. o_O

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't like the name Dragon for the Elio. I can see the Trolls having way too much fun with that. o_O
For those of us who have been on the forum for quite awhile recall the threat that proposed many names for the Elio. Dragon was n ever high on the list. Many of the new members are unaware of this thread and are eager to make their mark on the forum. This ground has already been walked on and there are hundreds of comments on it. Bottom line, I doubt we will ever see the moniker "Elio Dragon" on any Elio

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The relevance is Professor Paul Elio faculty of Engineering, Phoenix University. One and the same. Had a class of students design vehicle seats. Selected the the best parts from many. Built a prototype seat. Raised $4.5M and went into the business of building seats. Beautiful, comfortable, strong, safe seats. Perhaps should have taken marketing 101 at some point in the plan. He turned down a joint venture with Bostrom Seat Co., over the issue of control. I truly hope Mr. Elio did learn from his experience, learned enough to get the necessary financing while satisfying his need for control of the product.

Our family invested heavily in the RotorWay Helicopter Company. BJ the president was 100% in control and decided that they would make every single part in-house. The main rotor shaft failure was why the first aircraft were a failure, but building the engine crankshaft in-house was the cause of the company failure. The cost of building the crankshaft was many times greater than purchasing it and bankrupted the company. The new owners of the company were very clever. They took the top people and asked them to anonymously write down 10 good things about the company, 10 bad things about the company, 10 good things about the product and ten bad things about the product. This became the restructuring plan. Sometimes it takes more than one man's idea to bring a successful product to market. http://www.rotorway.com/
How True!! I work in product development. A product developer does not have to have all of the good ideas. He only has to be able to recognize one when it falls in front of him.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just a note on that.. from this other posting..(click the up arrow and go look)

In that statement from Paul I found something interesting to me. He says the carbon credits are worth $600mil a year to entities chaffing at the bit for them. I could certainly see that if the Elio becomes believed to be inevitable by these entities, those credits could be sold in advance, even if at at a discount. If they sold half of one year for a 50% discount, there's your full investment right there. If the level of believability is high enough EM could get full price. --- it's just a thought on all the 'creative financing' Paul has talked about.

Now hear this loud and clear. The ELIO is not a car it does not now nor will it qualify for carbon credits. The laws required to make it happen can not be passed .
If by any chance a motorcycle could qualify for those, Harley ,Honda Polaris would be all over it in 6 month. They would be releasing new models so fast your head would spin.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How True!! I work in product development. A product developer does not have to have all of the good ideas. He only has to be able to recognize one when it falls in front of him.
Yep already conceptualized, prototyped and bench checked, smoke checked , and sometimes even market researched by then.
Dragon II, the two door model.
Something like one of the Corbin's, where the doors swung up at a slight angle, that would be very nice, even if most of the shifter remained a partial block on that side. Perhaps the second right-side door should give access mostly to the passenger, who has a little more room than the basic Elio.
The design would allow for full fenders which will give lower aero-drag and help make up for the extra weight etc.
Just a thought. Been playing with the design in my head for a while.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Now hear this loud and clear. The ELIO is not a car it does not now nor will it qualify for carbon credits. The laws required to make it happen can not be passed .
If by any chance a motorcycle could qualify for those, Harley ,Honda Polaris would be all over it in 6 month. They would be releasing new models so fast your head would spin.
Too bad. was counting on that just a little. Normally I'd say, "but just you wait and see". But the government has been sooo dysfunctional since before the Bush(s) and the subject IS contentious at the federal level, so maybe that IS a no-go.
However, I think they continue to work on that, even if at a lower level of effort and hope.

Top Bottom