• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elios Mileage Range Vs Storage

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
According to quite a few sources, gasoline weighs approximately 6.3lb/gal.
Making the tank 4 gallons smaller would only shave 25.2lb. off the "topped off" weight of the Elio.
It would also only amount to a few inches gained for "storage".

It's also hard to imagine how that very small amount of saved space would even be accessed...
Seeing as how the tank is under the passenger seat.

Sounds like a inconsequential gain for a very significant loss of convenience.

Last edited:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My brother and I are still talking about picking up ours at the factory and road-tripping home--that's a trip of about 2400 miles from Shreveport to our homes in Western Washington. So if we get the full 84mpg nearly all the way, then it'll take about 3.5 tanks to drive home. At $20 a fillup, that's $80 for the trip, and I still have about half a tank left when I get home.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
My brother and I are still talking about picking up ours at the factory and road-tripping home--that's a trip of about 2400 miles from Shreveport to our homes in Western Washington. So if we get the full 84mpg nearly all the way, then it'll take about 3.5 tanks to drive home. At $20 a fillup, that's $80 for the trip, and I still have about half a tank left when I get home.
Take into account that the 84mpg is Highway speed; any time you're going to do a trip that long, you're going to run into detours, little side trips, areas where the speed limit is lower so your mileage will go down a little.
I wouldn't plan of having too much of that 1/2 tank left (if at all); I think you ought to plan on 5 tanks.

I thought about doing the trip and if I was back in my 40's, maybe even 50's I'd do it in a heart beat.
Now in the 60's the wear and tear on my on my body has started paying me back for all the abuse it was put through in the past.
I'll have mine delivered to the door. Or just to give it a break in tour, I might pick it up at the Bellevue Retail Center and take a slow 2 day trip home with multiple stops to <ahem> show off a little. :becky:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hasn't EM said that we will probably have to pay the full delivery charge...
Regardless of whether we pick it up at the factory or have it delivered to our door?

So, according to that, taking a (long for most of us) trip to the factory and back...
Will actually cost even more and will simply be a choice of doing it for the adventure.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Hasn't EM said that we will probably have to pay the full delivery charge...
Regardless of whether we pick it up at the factory or have it delivered to our door?

So, according to that, taking a (long for most of us) trip to the factory and back...
Will actually cost us more and will simply be choosing to do it for the adventure.
Yeah, but what an Adventure!! I looked at the ride and it will take him through some fantastic scenery.

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I want that adventure. And Shreveport to Gulfport Ms is less than 400 miles so I shouldn't have to fill up at all until after I get home. That's assuming Elio fills the tank at the time of pick up.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Take into account that the 84mpg is Highway speed; any time you're going to do a trip that long, you're going to run into detours, little side trips, areas where the speed limit is lower so your mileage will go down a little.
I wouldn't plan of having too much of that 1/2 tank left (if at all); I think you ought to plan on 5 tanks.

I thought about doing the trip and if I was back in my 40's, maybe even 50's I'd do it in a heart beat.
Now in the 60's the wear and tear on my on my body has started paying me back for all the abuse it was put through in the past.
I'll have mine delivered to the door. Or just to give it a break in tour, I might pick it up at the Bellevue Retail Center and take a slow 2 day trip home with multiple stops to <ahem> show off a little. :becky:

I figure, if I apply some simple hypermiler tricks, I can probably average 84 mpg for the trip :)

Top Bottom