• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

interloper07

Elio Fan
Reaction score
upload_2014-12-7_21-23-39.png

Random speculation. . . but given how close together those gauge markings are on the speedometer, and given that the Elio doesn't have a top speed anywhere near 140mph, I think that the 'speed disk' in the speedometer is for a metric gauge cluster. Not everything on this cluster is production - it's pretty well known that the gas cap is on the right, not the left as is marked in this cluster. 120kph is about 75mph, and 20kph markings would roughly correspond to 12mph with hashmarks at a more reasonable 6mph. If the speed disk is metric, I'll trust that they'll space out markings at a more reasonable 10mph with hashmarks at 5mph for the US and other markets with "English Units." Validating a metric cluster may say something about Elio's export intentions and timing, and the angular position of the speed disk probably won't change for a given velocity, just the markings on the speed disk.

I'm not going to get too agitated about the dash design. After all, Paul Elio's name is on the car, and it's a private company; he can do what he wants. Excessive hubris is pretty common among automotive execs. Henry Ford famously offered his customers the Model T in any color they wished, "as long as it is black." If an out-of-the-box (design) gauge cluster based on sentimentality is the most excessive form of hubris found on this vehicle, then we should count ourselves lucky as customers. I would say that the Lord Elgin dash adds character to the car, but doesn't detract so long as it's legible (the clearer photos posted recently lead me to think that it is). This isn't a track day superstar, after all. It's an efficient commuter car that just happens to look fairly cool, in my opinion. Not to mention, I can forgive a lot of quirks (styling or otherwise) in a sub $7000 new car that gets 80+ mpg.

Having said all this, I actually like the design. Bring on the Lord Elgin dash for me!

Attachments

• upload_2014-12-7_21-52-35.png
    upload_2014-12-7_21-52-35.png
    332.8 KB · Views: 224

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 3764
Random speculation. . . but given how close together those gauge markings are on the speedometer, and given that the Elio doesn't have a top speed anywhere near 140mph, I think that the 'speed disk' in the speedometer is for a metric gauge cluster. Not everything on this cluster is production - it's pretty well known that the gas cap is on the right, not the left as is marked in this cluster. 120kph is about 75mph, and 20kph markings would roughly correspond to 12mph with hashmarks at a more reasonable 6mph. If the speed disk is metric, I'll trust that they'll space out markings at a more reasonable 10mph with hashmarks at 5mph for the US and other markets with "English Units." Validating a metric cluster may say something about Elio's export intentions and timing, and the angular position of the speed disk probably won't change for a given velocity, just the markings on the speed disk.

I'm not going to get too agitated about the dash design. After all, Paul Elio's name is on the car, and it's a private company; he can do what he wants. Excessive hubris is pretty common among automotive execs. Henry Ford famously offered his customers the Model T in any color they wished, "as long as it is black." If an out-of-the-box (design) gauge cluster based on sentimentality is the most excessive form of hubris found on this vehicle, then we should count ourselves lucky as customers. I would say that the Lord Elgin dash adds character to the car, but doesn't detract so long as it's legible (the clearer photos posted recently lead me to think that it is). This isn't a track day superstar, after all. It's an efficient commuter car that just happens to look fairly cool, in my opinion. Not to mention, I can forgive a lot of quirks (styling or otherwise) in a sub $7000 new car that gets 80+ mpg.

Having said all this, I actually like the design. Bring on the Lord Elgin dash for me!
If you notice, the odometer is marked K/M

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you notice, the odometer is marked K/M
I don't have to like it to be able to use it. When I was a kid my dad had '62 Plymouth Belvedere that had the ugliest dash I've ever seen, it had columns that would fill up with red as your speed increased, and a push button shifter, never the less that ugly automobile carried the family many safe and trouble free miles.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 3764

Hi and welcome from Oregon, interloper07. It is a pleasure to meet someone else who likes the Elgin dash. I hope you enjoy this exciting adventure and journey to Elio production and ownership. See you next year in our Elios. :-) Z

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Elgin Lloyd.jpg

Another view provided by Lloyd Hoadley who is a member on this forum however he did not remember his forum name so I encouraged him to visit with us more often. :D
Lloyd got lucky and happened to be chatting with us when Pam called us over and took the Elgin out of its hiding spot and around behind the Elio display to show it to us. :cool:

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 3771

Another view provided by Lloyd Hoadley who is a member on this forum however he did not remember his forum name so I encouraged him to visit with us more often. :D
Lloyd got lucky and happened to be chatting with us when Pam called us over and took the Elgin out of its hiding spot and around behind the Elio display to show it to us. :cool:
It's growing on me, but still wouldn't be my first pick.

Top Bottom