• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, if they keep the dimensions the same, you'd think you'd be able to take the whole cluster out and replace it with a real cluster.
That's pretty much the plan; but replacing the gauges (housings) is the easy part.
The hard part is making them work with the electronics that are in there from the Elgin.
I also have to work out warning lights, turn signals, lighting, correct OHM from gas tank sender, oil pressure sensor and splitter so idiot light will still work, highbeam indicator, etc.. Plus looking into GPS Speedo, how much more <$> with it?
Then the how to pull it out, so you don't destroy it; always kind of an important part when you go to put it back in. ;)
That's why I said earlier "the devil is in the details"

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I find your post interesting. Coss disclosed the source of the gages he intended to use. So I believe that he enabled anyone to build their own cluster. There are many people on this forum that could build their own cluster with the gages sourced by Coss. However, my last "discovery" was simply the application of old technology to a new process. The application of old tech to a new product is a minefield of errors, adaptors, sensors, scrap, and discoveries. Therefore, when I am ready for a non-Elgin cluster, I will undoubtedly take the cheap route and buy the field-tested Coss Cluster. I am too old and fat to make new discoveries while standing on my head with my feet over the headrest.

I'm with you Frim :D

That's pretty much the plan; but replacing the gauges (housings) is the easy part.
The hard part is making them work with the electronics that are in there from the Elgin.
I also have to work out warning lights, turn signals, lighting, correct OHM from gas tank sender, oil pressure sensor and splitter so idiot light will still work, highbeam indicator, etc.. Plus looking into GPS Speedo, how much more <$> with it?
Then the how to pull it out, so you don't destroy it; always kind of an important part when you go to put it back in. ;)
That's why I said earlier "the devil is in the details"

Thank you for taking on this MONUMENTAL project :)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You could be right. Many of us hope you are right.

As we will have a choice between Manual and Automatic Transmissions, let us hope that there will be a vhoice of Gauges as well
I've heard that the Automated Manual Transmission will only come with the Lord Elgin gauges while the Manual Transmission comes with sport dial gauges. :rolleyes:

Please, for the love of god, understand that the little purple face with his eyes up and to the side means I'm just bullshitting and trying to be funny.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Recently things have been changing such as fixed price and steel body panels.
And things will continue to change.
I do not believe it is definite the dash will contain elgin gauges.

I believe the elio could still have traditional gauges.
Paul has said time and again ............ the Elgin gauges are a tribute to his father .....pretty much set in stone :D

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Recently things have been changing such as fixed price and steel body panels.
And things will continue to change.
I do not believe it is definite the dash will contain elgin gauges.

I believe the elio could still have traditional gauges.
I hope like heck you are right. I HATE THE ELGIN DESIGN

Top Bottom