• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The design of the Elio’s I/P isn’t meant to prepare it just for the installation phase, however. The Elio’s panel is designed for flexibility and upgradability, which means it will allow you to eventually change your entertainment system or upgrade to navigation at any point in your ownership experience.

So I can easily swap out the Elgin dash for something else?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
So I can easily swap out the Elgin dash for something else?
"easily" is a relative term based on your skill level and ability to be very creative.
I've done a lot of dashes and I term it as something I can do, but I doubt it will be "easy".
You're working in a very confined area; and the smaller the space, the more creative you have to be.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You won't; my custom stuff is not intended for the masses.
My custom work is very personalized and only sold to those that know about it.
So it's a matter of word of mouth, and "happened across this" or "someone told me that ......."
It always has been.
When I was doing the surveillance vehicles, I never advertised, but I had a 2 year waiting list.
I would only build 4 to 6 a year; it was my suppliers and past clients that did all the advertising I needed.
I opened my shop in 1983 and it's been in operation ever since.

For those guys in the Family Baking Inc. vans outside my house?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
For those guys in the Family Baking Inc. vans outside my house?
My vehicles were never that obvious; some were vans, a bunch were just normal cars; a few campers, even a couple of boats.
Vehicles that you'd be used to seeing parked for extended periods and never pay attention to.
There are also "invisible" colors; browns and silver (grey) seemed to work the best. For the cars, never tint the windows; get old French Fries and drop them on the floor in the back seat, along with a beat up toy to two; never wash it, stock wheels and tires; just common everything econo boxes.
And I never discussed who the clients were.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My vehicles were never that obvious; some were vans, a bunch were just normal cars; a few campers, even a couple of boats.
Vehicles that you'd be used to seeing parked for extended periods and never pay attention to.
There are also "invisible" colors; browns and silver (grey) seemed to work the best. For the cars, never tint the windows; get old French Fries and drop them on the floor in the back seat, along with a beat up toy to two; never wash it, stock wheels and tires; just common everything econo boxes.
And I never discussed who the clients were.
Interesting. I spent time installing radios for the Georgia State Patrol and also a few Georgia Bureau of Investigation cars. Those cars had hollow radio antennas that also doubled as their comm... and I used connectors that looked like power seat connections so that if they were searched, you couldn't tell there was anything out of the ordinary. Same with the hidden switch for the lights that were also hidden though I didn't install the lights. I didn't work there too long... I did work there long enough to set up a car with a wire going from the distributor to the driver's seat which I carefully wet down with water. Boy, the old timer who went out to start the car was NOT amused. Those were the days...

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. I spent time installing radios for the Georgia State Patrol and also a few Georgia Bureau of Investigation cars. Those cars had hollow radio antennas that also doubled as their comm... and I used connectors that looked like power seat connections so that if they were searched, you couldn't tell there was anything out of the ordinary. Same with the hidden switch for the lights that were also hidden though I didn't install the lights. I didn't work there too long... I did work there long enough to set up a car with a wire going from the distributor to the driver's seat which I carefully wet down with water. Boy, the old timer who went out to start the car was NOT amused. Those were the days...
There are a lot of things you can do that hide a lot in plain sight.

Reactions: KD

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I got fired and walked to the gate with my tool box for a similar stunt when I was just a pup. That changed my attitude about pranks.
Yeah... I was about 18 at the time... One of the old guys told me about doing it so I went off and did it myself. On a side note, I didn't work there very long and will never really know why they let me go. They said they could no longer work around my college schedule. Whatever.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I got fired and walked to the gate with my tool box for a similar stunt when I was just a pup. That changed my attitude about pranks.
I had that happen to me once in the Air Force. Someone 'encouraged' me to do something I should not have. It never occurred to me he was interested in my downfall just for the pitiful little bit of fun it would give him. I was lucky, very very lucky to not get trounced for it.

It did help me learn you have to stick to your own moral code, no mater what others say or do, or downplay.

Top Bottom