• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
9662607fiat_multipla_25-jpg.8266.jpg

Is this thing intended for Spungebob Squarepants?

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What I mean is, "what kind of warranty" does the manufacturer provide with this replacement dash? Is it a quality product that will "last" for the life of the Elio?

Oh, I'm not sure. That's the dash for the C7 Corvette. But it's mostly an LED screen (numbers and gauges). The pic I posted is just one option. You can set it up with multiple different looks.

I just love the look of the classic "hockey stick" and wish they could somehow incorporate that into the Elio (though it'd be the Gas Gauge instead of the RPM)

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will move my comments to this thread, and leave the other thread for those who like the elgin gauge. Mr. Seth has a good point.

I asked how difficult/delicate it would be to replace the dial on the elgin gauge with a needle and number backdrop, converting it into a more traditional gauge. It was accurately pointed out to me they spin in opposite directions.
Since they spin in opposite directions, this is a much more different gauge than I thought. What drives the shaft must be very different. It is not a simple of matter of changing backdrop and changing what is placed on the shaft to rotate (dial vs. needle). This is a complete new design driving up the cost of the gauge considerably.

This even more violates the EM policy of only using pre-existing components to keep cost down. An entirely new gauge had to be developed which costs money, helping driving up the cost.

If the cost of the vehicle is greater than $6,800, I, and one or two other people, will not be too happy knowing I had to pay more money in the form of a higher vehicle price, just so I could have the pleasure of owning an elgin gauge. This is rubbing salt into the wound.

Last edited:

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will move my comments to this thread, and leave the other thread for those who like the elgin gauge. Mr. Seth has a good point.

I asked how difficult/delicate it would be to replace the dial on the elgin gauge with a needle and number backdrop, converting it into a more traditional gauge. It was accurately pointed out to me they spin in opposite directions.
Since they spin in opposite directions, this is a much more different gauge than I thought. What drives the shaft must be very different. It is not a simple of matter of changing backdrop and changing what is placed on the shaft to rotate (dial vs. needle). This is a complete new design driving up the cost considerably.

This even more violates the EM policy of only using pre-existing components to keep cost down. An entirely new gauge had to be developed which costs money, helping driving up the cost.

If the cost of the vehicle is greater than $6,800, I, and one or two other people, will not be too happy knowing I had to pay more money in the form of a higher vehicle price, just so I could have the pleasure of owning an elgin gauge. This is rubbing salt into the wound.

I think the inner components are already in production somewhere. The casing and outer gauge faces are custom. I guess its like building your own PC case but using of the shelf internal PC components.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
F
I think the inner components are already in production somewhere. The casing and outer gauge faces are custom. I guess its like building your own PC case but using of the shelf internal PC components.
For all we know, the underpinnings of the Elgin may have been designed for the new Corvette or some other GM car. GM then abandoned that idea, and EM got a heck of a deal on a bunch of odd gauges that, with some tweaking, ended up reminding Paul of his dad's watch and tying itself to the Elio story.

At $6800 or thereabouts, I'm not gonna lose sleep over whether the Elgin cost me a couple extra dollars during manufacturing.

Top Bottom