• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electrameccanica Emv17

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm wondering where people live that the low range of an EV meets their everyday driving needs, especially once you factor in real world issues such as heating, cooling, and having to actually go fast.

I don't drive much but living in the metro of Mpls/St. Paul on a good day I couldn't even get from one end of the city and back. Add our weather into the mix and it just doesn't work. A women at work has a leaf and she can't drive it on anything but the best days. Summer A/C and winter heat put too many demands on the battery that she simply can't get home.

Charging stations are being added more and more to accommodate the necessary recharges but they take time and are significantly fewer than gas stations. I also am growing annoyed that charging stations are reducing the number of parking spaces that others can use. Here we have a select number of EV owners that manage to have essentially reserved parking spots that they have to used for long periods of time just so they can get home. In reality, I don't believe EVs and charging stations will scale; the recharge is just not as efficient space and time wise when compared to gas stations.

I grew up in Hibbing, MN with a population a little less than 20,000. People drove everywhere there but in reality most things were less than a mile away. Now I can understand that when it is -20F out that even a short walk is dangerous but otherwise, why not just walk or ride a bike? It seems that a lot of the energy issues and cost of ownership could be significantly reduced if those that can get by with the limited range of an EV might just choose to walk or bike instead.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
20150909_204241.jpg

$950 just for the wheel? I got a whole electric bike for under $400 new, and I didn't have to wait..
I have to admit though, the regen brakes and smart control on the Copenhagen Wheel are pretty cool.

Last edited:

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
140K = 86 miles .... so long as you only need to travel 43 miles or less one way
My current drive is a minimum 42 miles each way. If I manage to avoid the semi-regular massive delays due to traffic, you can add another 10 miles due to using back roads. Getting caught in the traffic jam means 30+ minutes of stop-and-go bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm wondering where people live that the low range of an EV meets their everyday driving needs, especially once you factor in real world issues such as heating, cooling, and having to actually go fast.

I don't drive much but living in the metro of Mpls/St. Paul on a good day I couldn't even get from one end of the city and back. Add our weather into the mix and it just doesn't work. A women at work has a leaf and she can't drive it on anything but the best days. Summer A/C and winter heat put too many demands on the battery that she simply can't get home.

Charging stations are being added more and more to accommodate the necessary recharges but they take time and are significantly fewer than gas stations. I also am growing annoyed that charging stations are reducing the number of parking spaces that others can use. Here we have a select number of EV owners that manage to have essentially reserved parking spots that they have to used for long periods of time just so they can get home. In reality, I don't believe EVs and charging stations will scale; the recharge is just not as efficient space and time wise when compared to gas stations.

I grew up in Hibbing, MN with a population a little less than 20,000. People drove everywhere there but in reality most things were less than a mile away. Now I can understand that when it is -20F out that even a short walk is dangerous but otherwise, why not just walk or ride a bike? It seems that a lot of the energy issues and cost of ownership could be significantly reduced if those that can get by with the limited range of an EV might just choose to walk or bike instead.
I've driven metro Mpls/St. Paul. It's why I live in a smaller City with a mild 4 season climate where an EV works with a range of 40, 80, or 120 miles. I wouldn't buy one if it didn't meet my needs as an and vehicle. Also, I don't have time and don't want to walk or bike 30 miles a day for all of my daily run around town errands and shopping.

I see both the Solo EV and the Elio ICE as & vehicles, buying one or the other or both and choosing the appropriate fun ride for the destination. I don't see the practicallity of a motorcycle that many can ride 6 months of the year and on nice weather days. I understand why people ride them. I don't think anybody is advocating the purchase of a three wheeler EV if it doesn't meet an individuals daily transportation needs.

I also don't understand why somebody would buy a vehicle that didn't meet their needs.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
That's where this company is having a hard time finding a market; how many people live downtown and work there also?
His idea is good, but the appeal to anything further out than a short hop it doesn't work.
Meet the Ryno <---link

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That's where this company is having a hard time finding a market; how many people live downtown and work there also?

one large and growing market can be found among the rapidly increasing number of retirement communities .... demand for low speed electric vehicles played a major part in the creation of the street legal low speed vehicle industry .... unfortunately, for new companies producing high dollar units, this market is being well served by current manufactures of low cost vehicles .... will there be some demand, certainly but by its very nature it will be pretty small

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 7072
$950 just for the wheel? I got a whole electric bike for under $400 new, and I didn't have to wait..
I have to admit though, the regen brakes and smart control on the Copenhagen Wheel are pretty cool.
The segment on them on the "Henry Ford's Innovation Nation" was pretty neat. I like that you can set it do different modes. It even has a mode where the wheel works against you for exercise. I also like the fact that it's removable very easily. Imagine taking your regular bike's rear wheel off for going to work during the week and then putting the offroad tire back on for mountain biking. It beats having a separate bike.

I was thinking that, scaled up, that's exactly what I'd want on my Elio's rear wheel! Well, if it were about 25 HP or more that is.

Top Bottom