• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Concerned Buyer

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I HAVE MOST OF THE PARTS FOR THE BRAKES . THE DRUMS ARE MASSIVE .
I DID MANAGE TO SUBSTITUTE A NEW MASTER CYLINDER & RESERVOIR FROM A VW BUS .

I STILL NEED TO SLEEVE THE WHEEL CYLINDERS AND SOURCE SOME REAR HOSES .
THE HARD LINES WILL BE MADE UP NEW .

I HAVE THE ORIGINAL WIRING HARNESS BUT IT WAS OUT OF THE TRUCK WHEN I GOT IT .
WITH NO WIRING DIAGRAM IT WILL TAKE SOME TIME TO SORT .

IT HAS TAKEN ME 4 YEARS TO FIND ALL THE CORRECT LIGHTS .

I WILL BE CONVERTING IT TO 12v . HAVE A MINI ALTERNATOR WITH INTERNAL REGULATOR
TO PLUMB INTO THE SYSTEM ALONG WITH A PAIR OF ELECTRIC FANS & AN ELECTRIC WATER PUMP .

I WILL REBUILD THE ORIGINAL MOTOR ( 1/2 DONE ) I WAS AMAZED TO FIND A SPARE MOTOR & TRANNY
THIS SUMMER AT BRUCE WEINER's FIRE SALE !

DSC_0291.JPG

DSC_0293.JPG

DSC_0088.JPG

JCar

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Wilson. :D

It's always been highly unlikely that Elio would succeed. Remember most start-ups fail. Also remember every car company started in this or the 20th century failed, with one exception. All of them failed except Telsa (so far).

That said, Elio hasn't failed yet and progress continues without obvious fatal problems. Paul Elio hasn't relented in his vision and remains committed to success. So if anything we should be elated they've lasted this long and they continue to move forward.

I'm waiting for oil prices to rise (if OPEC backs off its market flooding) since that's the only thing that really seems to get people to conserve. If Elio had been at this stage of production circa 2008 or 2009, when shale fracking had yet to make a dent in oil prices, I'm sure there'd be a lot more funding momentum. But shale is still a pipe dream in terms of actual reserves and we should be conserving finite oil no matter what. Each day the world burns through about 90 million barrels we'll never get back.

If I were on the Elio marketing team I'd be countering the false hype put out by the fracking industry and other energy cornucupians who ignore the math. The best selling angle for the car is it's extreme MPG, which hopefully isn't just possible in computer simulations.

JCar

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I HAVE MOST OF THE PARTS FOR THE BRAKES . THE DRUMS ARE MASSIVE .
I DID MANAGE TO SUBSTITUTE A NEW MASTER CYLINDER & RESERVOIR FROM A VW BUS .

I STILL NEED TO SLEEVE THE WHEEL CYLINDERS AND SOURCE SOME REAR HOSES .
THE HARD LINES WILL BE MADE UP NEW .

I HAVE THE ORIGINAL WIRING HARNESS BUT IT WAS OUT OF THE TRUCK WHEN I GOT IT .
WITH NO WIRING DIAGRAM IT WILL TAKE SOME TIME TO SORT .

IT HAS TAKEN ME 4 YEARS TO FIND ALL THE CORRECT LIGHTS .

I WILL BE CONVERTING IT TO 12v . HAVE A MINI ALTERNATOR WITH INTERNAL REGULATOR
TO PLUMB INTO THE SYSTEM ALONG WITH A PAIR OF ELECTRIC FANS & AN ELECTRIC WATER PUMP .

I WILL REBUILD THE ORIGINAL MOTOR ( 1/2 DONE ) I WAS AMAZED TO FIND A SPARE MOTOR & TRANNY
THIS SUMMER AT BRUCE WEINER's FIRE SALE !

View attachment 6964
View attachment 6965
View attachment 6966

A STUCK SHIFT KEY CANNOT LIE!

JCar

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Hang in there Wilson! This following of a vehicle startup company is not for the faint of heart. :amen:

Elio is definitely not going to start production when many of us would like them to: tomorrow. But, there is still hope. Expect the worst, hope for the best.
Now, a distraction, which in many ways is a great function of this forum... longest animated smilie that I've seen: :attention:

If the Big Three automakers (or whatever they number now) wanted to build such a car, they could have done it at any time in the past few decades. Unless they feared it might lose them sales of existing cars. It just seems a shame that Elio has to struggle to get such a smart concept rolling. I wonder what the major automakers really think of it?

JCar

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
'concerned buyer'? I didn't see your production # posted. You are a 'concerned dreamer' - like the rest of us. If you wanted to start up an autocycle/transportation company, for the mass market, with a goal of 250,000 units (minimum) yearly production, how long would it take you? I can wait (knock on wood for the 'ol ticker) until PE says it's ready. I want the Elio to be 'right' - out of the gate (unlike my Ford, my GM, my Chrysler, and my Honda products have been. I hope Elio never suffers from a 'recall' - because they did take thier time, had all their 'ducks in a row' and engineered quality into their product. (I'll step down now)

I kind of wish the engine was
I HOPE HE TAKES HIS TIME .
I AM BEING LAID OFF AT THE END OF THE MONTH .

J
I HOPE HE TAKES HIS TIME .
I AM BEING LAID OFF AT THE END OF THE MONTH .

WAS THE LAYOFF DUE TO KEYBOARD JAMMING?

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm waiting for oil prices to rise (if OPEC backs off its market flooding) since that's the only thing that really seems to get people to conserve. If Elio had been at this stage of production circa 2008 or 2009, when shale fracking had yet to make a dent in oil prices, I'm sure there'd be a lot more funding momentum. But shale is still a pipe dream in terms of actual reserves and we should be conserving finite oil no matter what. Each day the world burns through about 90 million barrels we'll never get back.

If I were on the Elio marketing team I'd be countering the false hype put out by the fracking industry and other energy cornucupians who ignore the math. The best selling angle for the car is it's extreme MPG, which hopefully isn't just possible in computer simulations.
oil.jpg

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the Big Three automakers (or whatever they number now) wanted to build such a car, they could have done it at any time in the past few decades. Unless they feared it might lose them sales of existing cars. It just seems a shame that Elio has to struggle to get such a smart concept rolling. I wonder what the major automakers really think of it?
Two thoughts.
1. I'd be willing to bet there isn't enough profit in an Elio to make the Big 3 want to take the chance of scavenging their own sales to make it worth the chance.
2. I believe that IS the longest animated smilie loop.
3. (bonus) This is what happens when you blend two posts in error.

Top Bottom