• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Are You Completely Happy With The Design Of Elio?

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Power Steering - No, doesn't need it; 1250lbs plus rack and pinion you really don't need it.
Power brakes - I haven't seen a vacuum booster in the engine compartment so I think no (not sure)
Clutch - looks like hydraulic
Power windows - yes
Power door locks - yes
It has traction control and anti-skid braking, so yes, it has power brakes.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Blended into the body it shouldn't be too bad. One option might be to get one of those "universal" hood scoops (the kind that are just for looks) and mount it backwards. Then place an LED light bar in the scoop vent.
lund-hood-scoop.jpg
like the creativity, but don't want to figure out how to unobtrusively run the wiring

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Someone could probably write a dissertation on the design and various changes that could be made. Am I completely happy with the design? No. Will I be completely happy with the design when it's sitting in my driveway? Yes.
I will be ecstatic when it is my driveway! I do wonder if the overt addiction will subside at that point. Or only get worse. Nah, it will just be a different form as the substance will be available to be touched and, and, and...

Danny Williams

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Even though a rear window would be functionally useless, I would like a louvered rear hatch to give the apperance of a rear window (and to provide a mounting point for a back-up camera and center-high mounted stop light)

Because the vehicle is so narrow, the only way you would be able to see out of a rear window is if you:
1) Remove driver's seat headrest
2) Remove passenger seat headrest (or fold it down)
3) Turn completely around in your seat, so that you are looking over the back of the seat. There is very little room to look "over the shoulder"
4) If you have a passenger, they will have to bend their head down and out of the way.

And for all that, all you gain is a tiny visual space about the size of a piece of paper, that doesn't show you anything the side mirrors don't already reveal. Remember, there is no windshield-mounted rear view mirror, because all it would show you is your forehead.

The side mirrors really do an excellent job of seeing behind you, they don't have the same sort of rear-view blind spot that a typical car has. The only space blind to the mirrors is about a couple feet directly behind the Elio.
eliorearview-jpg.2907.jpg
I see what you're saying. I am planning on hooking up wireless cameras in the back anyway. Thanks for your input!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I see what you're saying. I am planning on hooking up wireless cameras in the back anyway. Thanks for your input!
Wireless cameras still need power and a transmitter; that's the set up I did in my Nitro; wiring the tailgate to the interior wasn't bad; I had a rougher time in the rear quarter panel where I tap the power from the backup lights; and the transmitter resides.
Running the wiring in the Elio should be easy; I plan on wired because of the size of it.

Danny Williams

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Wireless cameras still need power and a transmitter; that's the set up I did in my Nitro; wiring the tailgate to the interior wasn't bad; I had a rougher time in the rear quarter panel where I tap the power from the backup lights; and the transmitter resides.
Running the wiring in the Elio should be easy; I plan on wired because of the size of it.

I'm planning on on tapping power off the tail light so the camera will be on permanently.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For my recent install, I just ran the power all the way up to the dash and tapped into a 12v accessory plug that wasn't in use (for an option I don't have). Then I installed a switch, so both the screen and the camera turn on at the flick of a switch.

Top Bottom