• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Anti-theft Measures?

Michael Lee

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Has anyone heard about a security system in the Elio? I'm afraid that as a funky looking car it will attract vandals and even thieves.

Moderator Comment: Merged into existing thread on this topic

Last edited by a moderator:

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard about a security system in the Elio? I'm afraid that as a funky looking car it will attract vandals and even thieves.

Moderator Comment: Merged into existing thread on this topic
I'd be more worried about high school students at graduation. We had fun with our principal's bug.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd be more worried about high school students at graduation. We had fun with our principal's bug.

I will never forget a 80's Suzuki Samurai one of the guys in my barracks had. The thing only weighed about as much as a beetle, the soft top made it impossible to lock, and a manual trans meant it could be popped into neutral with ease. That poor vehicle probably spent about as much time being pushed around our base, by hand or with the help of another vehicle, as it did being driven. Damn thing ended up being moved just about everywhere you could imagine and along the way it was even discovered it would fit in some elevators.

The owner of the Samurai did learn some tricks to keep his vehicle from being moved the biggest of which were to turn the wheels completely, preferably in the direction of another vehicle or immovable object, before locking the steering wheel and to use 'The Club' steering wheel lock.

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How about something painful but non-lethal: 10,000 volts!

From their web site:
"Don’t you hate it when somebody messes with your car? When they lean against it, or bang it with a shopping cart, or, god forbid, they run a key down the side of it? Even more so when they break in and steal your stuff, or the vehicle itself!

Wouldn’t you like to be able to knock them on their ass if they mess with your vehicle?

Yea, us too. So we did something about it. We electrified our car. It works great.

You can, too, with the all-new, patented* Car Zapper 9000!"

http://carzapper.info/

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A nice idea with one problem for the Elio, plastic body. You'd have to do a custom paint job with a conductive material for this to work.
I remember playing in an irrigation ditch (against the rules) and falling. I grabbed onto the nearest object which happened to be an electric fence. I honestly don't know how I ever got my hands free but I did and I never dared tell my mother. Needless to say, I would not use this method. In all honesty, I would not use any of the methods mentioned in this thread. I simply always assume no one will bother my car. I have only been wrong once and that was in the early 1970s. A $5 alarm clock was stollen from my car but my brother-in-laws car was actually stollen. My car at the time was a VW Camper. :-) Z

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How about something painful but non-lethal: 10,000 volts!

From their web site:
"Don’t you hate it when somebody messes with your car? When they lean against it, or bang it with a shopping cart, or, god forbid, they run a key down the side of it? Even more so when they break in and steal your stuff, or the vehicle itself!

Wouldn’t you like to be able to knock them on their ass if they mess with your vehicle?

Yea, us too. So we did something about it. We electrified our car. It works great.

You can, too, with the all-new, patented* Car Zapper 9000!"

http://carzapper.info/

LOL. Now THAT is funny! It has to be a joke...or a LAWSUIT looking for a place to happen!

Top Bottom