• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Buy Elio (don't Worry, I'm All In)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Tesla is the birthing cry of the electrical revolution. It's better than gasoline in every way. Period.
(well, except refill times and station diversity)

The Elio is a long overdue simplification of the gasoline auto.

Can the Iphone replace the desktop computer?
It actually HAS in many ways and can do the job of MOST applications.
Has the PC world gone away?
No, it has contracted, but changed to fill certain areas that it specializes in. (PC gaming, VR, home theater)
The Iphone Ipad to PC ratio will gradually change in favor of the iphone and the android competitors and their respective app models.

Same with the EV -vs- ICE.

Think of the Tesla vehicles as the Iphone 3, 4 and 4S, there is still a LOT of room for growth and innovation.

The Elio is more like a Chromebook.

(full disclosure: I prefer Android and Gaming PC's)
((Iphones are still a more appropriate analogy))

I like both the Elio and the Model 3, but don't understand why one would even compare these two totally different classes of vehicles.

A better comparison of ICE vs Electric "three wheelers" would be the Elio and the SRK.
When it comes to simplification I think the design of the SRK wins hands down based on this CleanTechnica statement:
"The SRK is intentionally built to be simple, efficient, and optimized to move one or two people around. The SRK is assembled from- 800 parts vs - 8000 parts in a typical internal combustion vehicle. Using fewer parts cuts cost, keeps the complexity of repairs to a minimum, and sticks to the "Keep it Simple" mantra." The Elio isn't a simplification, but rather 1/2 a car with three wheels using off the shelf parts and old school technology presented in a new package.

Different demographics for all three vehicles. The Elio, the SRK, and the Tesla Model 3 all have pros and cons. With that said compare and buy the one you like, can afford, and best meets your personal needs if it becomes available since they are all currently concepts. If you have no interest in one or the other there is no reason to slam it and crush some else's dream vehicle. There are two of the concepts currently offering test rides and drives to their fan base reservationists and only one of the three guaranteed to be manufactured.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you have $50,000 burning a hole in your pocket and are laboring under the impression that electricity is free and clean, then an electric is for you. Have at it. It's not wasting my money after all.

I'm on a budget, so the Elio is my choice.
I'm on a budget too. I have $35K + a $6800 Elio reserve fund burning a hole in my pocket (under $50K), a Tesla Supercharger down the street from my home providing a source of free electricity. Regarding clean electricity..........it seems somewhat 'cleaner' from sustainable sources of electricity along with the advantage of zero emissions from the EV's tailpipe ('cleaner'). Even though some see no value whatsoever in EV's, it's wise to have ATVM options to relieve the pressure on big 'dirty' oil reserves and help to keep gas prices lower for future ICElio owners. Technically, the development of ATVM's made it possible for EM to apply for the DoE ATVM Loan Program. It's nice to have choices when spending our hard earned money. I don't consider purchasing an EV as wasting money either, but rather an investment with guaranteed return. I'm so concerned about wasting money I wouldn't consider a risky non-refundable reservation deposit on any of the concept vehicles I have serious interest in.

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EV's don't seem to make sense just yet from a purely economic standpoint. The cost of the battery packs are more expensive than buying gas for as long as most vehicles are owned. Even the Arcimoto SRK target cost is over $5000 more than the Elio, which would pay for something like 100k-150k miles in the Elio. On top of that, the SRK wouldn't be a daily commuter vehicle in most parts of the country since many would need to drive something else 1/4 to 1/2 the year due to lack of AC/Heat.

That's not to say that EV's aren't the future of automotive tech. I think they will become the more economical choice in the next 5-10 years, in part due to the willingness of early adopters to pay a premium to help develop the technology and drive battery costs down.

Last edited:

bunchathrees

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While the economics do not favor EVs, there are clearly other reasons that some people favor them. We all have different priorities and hot buttons. I agree with Rickb in his rising tide theory (my words, not his) regarding alternatives to traditional people movers.

I've considered a Tesla since it has the range I need, but I'd rather direct the cost premium to other projects. This Elio proposal has the right combination of functionality and price to meet my current situation. I wasn't going to even consider a commuter until this project popped up on my radar. Funny how things work out.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EV's don't seem to make sense just yet from a purely economic standpoint. The cost of the battery packs are more expensive than buying gas for as long as most vehicles are owned. Even the Arcimoto SRK target cost is over $5000 more than the Elio, which would pay for something like 100k-150k miles in the Elio. On top of that, the SRK wouldn't be a daily commuter vehicle in most parts of the country since many would need to drive something else 1/4 to 1/2 the year due to lack of AC/Heat.

That's not to say that EV's aren't the future of automotive tech. I think they will become the more economical choice in the next 5-10 years, in part due to the willingness of early adopters to pay a premium to help develop the technology and drive battery costs down.
The SRK and the Tesla Model 3 have finally reached the range and price point that makes economic sense for me and thousands of others. I agree with your next 5-10 year statement........but I'll be dead and cremated by that time. SRK enclosure and climate control will be available options for those that want/need it in their 'and' vehicle. Still a major sustainable transportation choice for the millions in warm and or tropical climates. My point is that no vehicle is right for everybody and some people simply don't like and/or see any value whatsoever and oppose the advancing ATVM technology because it doesn't meet their personal requirements or preference. I like them all and see relevance in sustainable transportation commuter options in crowded urban environments.

The Elio target base price is to be determined as is the SRK's (less the incentives factor). Many will buy the Base $11,900 SRK (before incentives) and many Elio owners will buy fully loaded Elio's and spend more. The Tesla Model 3 $35K Base is likely set because Tesla is manufacturing cars and knows the fixed cost factors involved. Also, engines and transmissions require maintenance and or expensive repairs over that 100-250K miles. Ideally I would like to buy one of each.

Last edited:

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While the economics do not favor EVs, there are clearly other reasons that some people favor them. We all have different priorities and hot buttons. I agree with Rickb in his rising tide theory (my words, not his) regarding alternatives to traditional people movers.

I've considered a Tesla since it has the range I need, but I'd rather direct the cost premium to other projects. This Elio proposal has the right combination of functionality and price to meet my current situation. I wasn't going to even consider a commuter until this project popped up on my radar. Funny how things work out.
It would be interesting to try to figure out the true cost of ownership including battery replacement, engine overhauls, tires, etc. etc. but how long do folks keep their vehicles these days? It would also be interesting to evaluate these vehicles if they were leased instead of purchased? Makes me wonder if Elio will offer a lease option?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It would be interesting to try to figure out the true cost of ownership including battery replacement, engine overhauls, tires, etc. etc. but how long do folks keep their vehicles these days? It would also be interesting to evaluate these vehicles if they were leased instead of purchased? Makes me wonder if Elio will offer a lease option?
I thought this was an interesting video....using a Tesla to deliver mail on a 185 mile daily route at a cost of $3/day and his only maintenance cost is a periodic car wash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom