• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Who Will Take 100 Preproduction Of Eilo In Dec 2016?

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The assembly line will most likely be set up to assemble the S series. (The 100) How they'll feed parts to the line is what we really don't know. They'll most likely use the run of 100 to ensure the stations function correctly in the right order. Get past thinking that there are robots that are going to assemble the cars. It is going to be people assembling the Elios with the use of assist devices. The line will pull the bucks around with Elio Frames and panels, etc. and those will have to be set up to accommodate the right pieces but that's like setting up a jig. What will be fun is making sure each station has the right tools and parts. It won't be too difficult for some. "Okay, make sure station 101B has 2 bolts, a bracket, and a hood hinge set... Times 100"

They'll have a group of assembly techs - I'd assume they'll use this time to train managers and line leads - that will basically follow a small batch of Elios around. They'll all work a few stations and then move down the line. I'd take a group of 5 cars and 20 people or so and basically walk along with the cars, man the next 10 stations, and work through them at speed to make sure it's possible to assemble Elios. Man, that would be fun to set up. This is assuming that Elio has all the parts and engines needed to feed the line. Those assembly lines will be separate from the main assembly line and can be looked at as sub-processes.... Paint, Engine, and Drivetrain lines are the three big sub-assembly lines I can think of right now.

Wouldn't it be fun to watch them take that first small batch down the line and watch them being put together... and then driving one away to it's eventual fleet owner? Yeah, I can dream a little.
It sure is Ty. How about the frame assembly? I've seen it on "How it's made" that some car company had it all automated including the welding, and then I also seen some where the frame parts are manually placed on a jig and then the robots take over welding it. If EM will manually assemble the frames including the welding, I don't know how they can manage to push ELIOs out of the assembly line fast enough, let alone going full production after the 100 pre-prod are completed.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It sure is Ty. How about the frame assembly? I've seen it on "How it's made" that some car company had it all automated including the welding, and then I also seen some where the frame parts are manually placed on a jig and then the robots take over welding it. If EM will manually assemble the frames including the welding, I don't know how they can manage to push ELIOs out of the assembly line fast enough, let alone going full production after the 100 pre-prod are completed.
It'll be a unibody. I know the plant has stamp presses but I didn't work in an area that had them. Those parts all just arrived and joined the assembly line. It could be that Elio has those parts stamped elsewhere and delivered to the line. I just don't know.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It'll be a unibody. I know the plant has stamp presses but I didn't work in an area that had them. Those parts all just arrived and joined the assembly line. It could be that Elio has those parts stamped elsewhere and delivered to the line. I just don't know.
I stand corrected. I now remember reading it in here that it'll be a unibody.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm dogged determined if a rental business has any of the 100 up for rental, I'm going to go for it, at least for a day or two, and drive it into work. Fortunately, the Phoenix area may have better access to that, we'll see.

How cool to drive around for a full day in one of the first production Elio's. I'm taking THAT day off, heck with work!

For a business like that, I'm sure they are depending on interest from a test driving public.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm dogged determined if a rental business has any of the 100 up for rental, I'm going to go for it, at least for a day or two, and drive it into work. Fortunately, the Phoenix area may have better access to that, we'll see.

How cool to drive around for a full day in one of the first production Elio's. I'm taking THAT day off, heck with work!

For a business like that, I'm sure they are depending on interest from a test driving public.
Wow! I didn't think about that aspect of it! If Elio gave those first 100 to a rental agency, they'd get pretty good feedback through the rental agency's normal feedback loop. The rental agency would jump at the chance to be the only place in the country with a unique car. They probably wouldn't have any problem renting them out at least for a while. Hell, we'd all be renting them just to try out the transmission and to brag to our friends... "Yeah, this is an Elio. I'm getting one. No, you can't get one. They won't be available till after they've made all of the reserved ones." Yeah! Win, win!

Not unlike having a wife who is a Saints fan yesterday!

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm dogged determined if a rental business has any of the 100 up for rental, I'm going to go for it, at least for a day or two, and drive it into work.
I've said it elsewhere, that if the 100 fleet vehicles go to a rental company near me, I'd definitely look at trying to get one for a day or two. No better way to test drive it, that's for sure.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be fun to watch them take that first small batch down the line and watch them being put together... and then driving one away to it's eventual fleet owner? Yeah, I can dream a little.

Absolutely it would. Also a great opportunity to cut videos of some of the processes
& use as commercials!

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score

You sure have a better luck in Arizona. That's one test drive you'll sure enjoy and for how much a day.....25 bucks???:D

Top Bottom