• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wheel Fenders, Fairings, Skirts, Covers

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
%2Fassets%2Fv3%2Feditorial%2Fa%2F0f%2Fa0f7456c-a41d-11e3-8dfa-001a4bcf887a%2F5316a68e70071.image.jpg

Anyone else wonder why there are no lines or raised details on the front fenders to match the back panel? Is it as flat and plain as it looks?

Because they're prototype pieces, flat is cheaper to tool.

ST13Fred

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't like the covered wheel fenders, either. Wheels MAKE a vehicle. Covering them up hides the beauty of a wheel assembly and IMO, the minimal MPG gain is not worth it.
My Elio will have open fenders. I'm not very warm to the look of the rear, either, mostly because that wheel is completely covered; I'd like to see a partial cover, so some of the wheel would be visible.

Remember the 1st gen Honda Insight? It was goofy looking, IMO, because of the covered rear wheels. Back in the 60s, some cars had fender 'skirts', that covered about half of the rear wheels, which somewhat added to the 'look'.

I'm not whining, just giving my thoughts. High MPG #ers are the goal of Elio, I understand, but at what point does aerodynamics overtake attractive styling?

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think Paul Elio will do everything in his power to stick to his original 4 commitments and I personally like that very much. As a woman, I have experienced various "tricks of the trade" in car show rooms starting in 1962 (VW Beetle convertible). He has also promised us we won't have to go through that. This is a 5th reason why I am all in even though so far only for $100. Believe me when I say as soon as I get an additional $400 saved I will jump to the next level unless there is a very obvious reason not to. I believe in this project. I am one of the people at low, fixed income that he hopes to attract. He definitely has my vote of confidence. Z

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not whining, just giving my thoughts. High MPG #ers are the goal of Elio, I understand, but at what point does aerodynamics overtake attractive styling?

Look at Formula 1 cars 100% about aero not looks. The Elio has to rely on aero to achieve its MPG selling point. I wouldn't worry about the fenders apparently the early P3 fenders will be an option over the aero fenders. I am sure some people will remove them as well.

I like them and don't find it necessary to see my wheels. Not on this car anyways.

HoofHearted

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I don't like the covered wheel fenders, either. Wheels MAKE a vehicle. Covering them up hides the beauty of a wheel assembly and IMO, the minimal MPG gain is not worth it.
My Elio will have open fenders. I'm not very warm to the look of the rear, either, mostly because that wheel is completely covered; I'd like to see a partial cover, so some of the wheel would be visible.

Remember the 1st gen Honda Insight? It was goofy looking, IMO, because of the covered rear wheels. Back in the 60s, some cars had fender 'skirts', that covered about half of the rear wheels, which somewhat added to the 'look'.

It would be interesting to see what effect no fenders would have on fuel economy. At 60mph the tops of the tires would be going against the wind at 120mph.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see what effect no fenders would have on fuel economy. At 60mph the tops of the tires would be going against the wind at 120mph.

I hope Elio eventually decides to release more information on airflow patterns over the car. I am sure the shrouded wheels cut down on air turbulence and drag however it would be interesting to visually see the difference in computer simulations or even better in a wind tunnel.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope Elio eventually decides to release more information on airflow patterns over the car. I am sure the shrouded wheels really do cut down on air turbulence and drag however it would be really neat to visually see the difference in computer simulations or even better in a wind tunnel.
That would be interesting even to me. LOL Z

HoofHearted

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I hope Elio eventually decides to release more information on airflow patterns over the car. I am sure the shrouded wheels really do cut down on air turbulence and drag however it would be really neat to visually see the difference in computer simulations or even better in a wind tunnel.
I would like to know what the drag coefficient would be.

Top Bottom