• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Side Should The Door Be On?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You would think it would be very odd however it is only strange for a short while and quickly becomes normal. I have had to do this a number of times in several countries, and islands in the Caribbean, and the strangest part for me has actually been parallel parking.
Let's face it, parallel parking is strange no matter how you have to do it. :p :rolleyes: :) Z

Last edited by a moderator:

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
that would be the eaa b17, named aluminum overcast. it tours the country and offers rides, to earn it's keep. eaa.org has more info on it, as well as other antique or replica ac. we had the ford tri motor here the first of this year. good turn out of folks getting a ride in a piece of history. what is noticeable is the lack of interest, by todays youth, in aviation. as has been mentioned, sounds of a high performance war bird does more to stimulate your senses than a jet does. different time, different generation, different priorities and different loyalties.
That's supper cool info, Goldwing, Thanks

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't fly anymore. Heart problems screwed my medical. It was fun while it lasted though. My first plane was a 1939 Luscomb 8A. Treacherous little taildragger. 2 doors. 2nd was a 1964 Mooney M20E. Door on right. 3rd was a 1975 Cessna 310R. Door on right. Loved it but it cost almost $300 to top it off when avgas was $1.60 a gallon. 4th was a Robertson STOL 1973 Cessna Skymaster 337G. Door on right. I now have the remains of an old Weedhopper ultralight and a Sonex kit that were destroyed when hurricane Ike dropped a tree on my barn.

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
well, u don't want to have another ford pinto disaster but because of the weight locations of the elio, it doesn't lend it self to being made into a flying vehicle without some major adaptations. first u need to define the performance parameters and then design the aeronautical components around those dimensions. there is no way to make it meet lsa requirements so a pvt/sel would be the minimum pilot certifications. the ability to have it convertible and be able to tow its own airframe is probably not feasible. taking it through certification would too expensive so maybe u could get it approved for experimental category certification. just the ac components to make it into an ac would put the cost over fifty thousand bucks for engine, airframe, instrumentation, communications and any safety items like brs. then some sort of integration of the flight control system to work with or in addition to the automotive type controls of the vehicle. finally, all of the ac components would probably weigh at least as much as the original vehicle, so would the suspension support that much extra weight and landing loads? it would also require some extra frame components be added, for mounting the ac parts to the elio frame. the most practical configuration would be a high wing with strut bracing and some sort of a tail cone for mounting the elevator and rudder. i tell ya, i keep seeing a Cessna 337 flying components with just the rear engine, mounted onto the elio vehicle frame, very similar to the flying pinto of yore.
I like this Elio-like design. Already up and flying. Looks like Elio's wheel shrouds are indeed aerodynamic. Had to compensate for the wings by extending out the side view mirrors. And looks like an awful lot of fun!

Appears to have doors on both sides.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nnF2yua4KIw

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just noticed this today, maybe I havent been paying attention. The video in the snow, along with the Linked in posting today, seems to show a door line on the passenger side exterior. I know there is no door inside, but why leave the door seam on the passenger side? Or am I seeing something that really isnt there?
4fc7c033-6e70-4332-80f0-c3bdff48458d-medium.jpeg

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just noticed this today, maybe I havent been paying attention. The video in the snow, along with the Linked in posting today, seems to show a door line on the passenger side exterior. I know there is no door inside, but why leave the door seam on the passenger side? Or am I seeing something that really isnt there?View attachment 3263
The quote is from Paul Elio. I don't see any door seams and there is no passenger side. There is a door side and a non-door side. The picture shows the non-door side. if this is a video it is not available to me. :-) Z

Top Bottom