• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Side Should The Door Be On?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Since the model we're seeing on tour and on all of the advertisements has the door on the left side are we assuming that this would be the US / North American version.
My thought was, when it's released to England / Australia would the door be on the right side?
Since the drive on the right side there it's sort of a logical question to ask ;)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Since the model we're seeing on tour and on all of the advertisements has the door on the left side are we assuming that this would be the US / North American version.
My thought was, when it's released to England / Australia would the door be on the right side?
Since the drive on the right side there it's sort of a logical question to ask ;)

I don't know how EM will ultimately decide to handle this however it is my understanding that the vehicle is designed symmetrically so that the door could be installed on either side. The issue I see with changing what side the door is on is that this would require a lot of tooling and part changes to provide body/door panels,new interior panels, and reversed door and window hardware including routing the shift and parking brake cables to the other side of the vehicle.

Personally I would tell EM to save the money and sell the vehicle as is. For such a fuel efficient and inexpensive vehicle the right hand drive countries can get used to opening the left side door and shifting with their right hands. :)

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As with any changes we want to make with the basic model, maybe consider it as an option. Just make sure that the price more than reflects all that entails that sort of option. I agree though, for the price, standard shifting should be easily picked up. Or just get the automatic tranny! That would make it even easier.

LockMD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well here we would get out/in at curbside. Over there they'd be getting out/in on the traffic side could be a safety issue but with it being so thin maybe its a non-issue ??? But I'm thinking if the door were on the right side here, it would not pass some kinda safety inspection.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The driver and all controls are at the middle.....does it really matter where the door is located?
No.....just like it doesn't matter the side location of the gas cap. Let EM Design, Engineer, and Manufacture the Elio based on cost saving efficiency. All we need to do is buy it, drive it, have some fun, and save some money in the process. I'm thinking about all the fun customization options not doors and caps. What the heck do I know about vehicle design? Adopt and adapt.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
How about we get our version on the road, then worry about the aussie's.....

Would you rather have more endless discussion on what side the fuel filler should be on?

I believe everyone here wants to get this vehicle into production asap and EM is working on that. Most of what we do here does not really affect Elio Motors in any way as they may stop in to read general commentary or see what is being said about a specific issue however they have their own schedule and they will keep to it no matter what we are discussing.

While we wait for the process to work itself through it does break things up to have discussions on topics other than the standard fare which just goes around and around endlessly.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well here we would get out/in at curbside. Over there they'd be getting out/in on the traffic side could be a safety issue but with it being so thin maybe its a non-issue ??? But I'm thinking if the door were on the right side here, it would not pass some kinda safety inspection.
Do what Paul Elio does........he climbs out the rear hatch door.

Top Bottom