• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Waffling On Base Price. Can They Make $6,800?

What will be the actual base price of the Elio (excluding taxes,delivery and paperwork)

• $6,800

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • $7,000

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • $7,200

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • $7,500

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • over $7,500

Votes: 17 15.6%

• Total voters

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Electric powertrains are the future is still a true statement.
...Until we hit "Peak lithium" in 50 years. ;)

Gasoline-powered cars also have an ecological benefit over electric cars: In many places including several U.S. cities, the air coming out of the tailpipe is cleaner than the air going in the intake! Electric cars don't do anything to directly clean up the air. :D

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps gas prices are down permanently. A Forbes article on this forum said battery prices dropped 35% last year alone. If this continues, electric vehicles will be very affordable. Perhaps Saudi Arabia sees the handwriting on the wall and has reduced oil prices to slow the take over by electric vehicles, thus destroying their income.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Assuming you were responding to my post (which was factual but tongue-in-cheek), which part do you think is BS, and have you taken a moment check the facts? :usa2:
Well, after a fact check you would find something like NOs and CO are reduced which are considered to be the pollutants related to 'clean'. Vs what we all consider, that the co2 to also be a pollutant, but that report does not. As usual it was a mash-up of formal and informal uses of the words 'clean' and 'pollutant'. Certainly more CO2 came out than what went in.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ever hear of a "Tesla"? :D A Tesla will take you coast-to-coast, no problem. Also the Chevy Bolt is/will be competitive. Naturally not the 500-600 mile range of a mild hybrid, but range competitive with 99.9% of the way people actually use cars.

That claimed 86% efficieny is useless when you have to cover every inch of interstate, every lane, with those coils. Do the math on the resource costs of ripping up every inch of highway and replacing it with embedded expensive metal coils and transmission line. Likely far more damaging than just sticking with gasoline! That's why the Elio is a much better idea, even if it cost $15,000 to get one.
We tear up one of every five miles every year on average anyway. It would only take a theoretical five years to replace all highways with some kind of conductive pavement or something new under the sun.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ever hear of a "Tesla"? :D A Tesla will take you coast-to-coast, no problem. Also the Chevy Bolt is/will be competitive. Naturally not the 500-600 mile range of a mild hybrid, but range competitive with 99.9% of the way people actually use cars.

That claimed 86% efficieny is useless when you have to cover every inch of interstate, every lane, with those coils. Do the math on the resource costs of ripping up every inch of highway and replacing it with embedded expensive metal coils and transmission line. Likely far more damaging than just sticking with gasoline! That's why the Elio is a much better idea, even if it cost $15,000 to get one.

......."A Tesla will take you coast-to-coast, no problem."..........
A Tesla won't even get you from Houston to El Paso on I10.
......."but range competitive with 99.9% of the way people actually use cars."........
What people are you talking about?
How do you think people use cars outside of the I95 corridor?

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A Tesla won't even get you from Houston to El Paso on I10.
Neither will an Elio. At least not without "recharging".

What people are you talking about?
How do you think people use cars outside of the I95 corridor?
Remember, my handle is "Gas-Powered Awesome", but even so I understand that an electric vehicle with only 80 miles of range (Leaf, Spark EV) is good enough for most Americans. The vast majority of Americans drive less than 100 miles a day. 80% drive less than 50. Something less than 1% drives more than 200 a day. Those 99%+ of Americans are the people I'm talking about. :usa2:

I'm not buying an EV anytime soon, but I'm not blinded to facts by my ideology.

Last edited:

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Neither will an Elio. At least not without "recharging".

Remember, my handle is "Gas-Powered Awesome", but even so I understand that an electric vehicle with only 80 miles of range (Leaf, Spark EV) is good enough for most Americans. The vast majority of Americans drive less than 100 miles a day. 80% drive less than 50. Something less than 1% drives more than 200 a day. Those 99%+ of Americans are the people I'm talking about. :usa2:

I'm not buying an EV anytime soon, but I'm not blinded to facts by my ideology.

Sometimes I feel like a crow at the National Eagle Convention. It is a good time to keep silent.

Top Bottom