• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Trunk Questions

Thomas Maule

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Depending on circumstances I think the elio would be far from a terrible only car.
  • The cost of entry and low maintenance cost make it a great "only" car for people that have limited means or simply don't want to spend their wad on a vehicle.
  • If you are a single person and mostly drive yourself the cabin has sufficient space to haul your butt around along with some amount of baggage; including your golf clubs or cello :)
  • Food shopping is possible and again if you are single the quantities that you would buy at the store would likely fit the elio space well.
  • If you want a big car to haul lumber, carry folks on a vacation, or just pack a bunch of stuff, you can rent a car with the savings you realize owning the elio. The rental car/truck would be your "and" car in this case.

My elio is going to become my main vehicle...

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It will be my "main" car as well, because it will be perfect for 99% of my driving and it will be all my wife and I need for long-distance trips ("long distance" being anything beyond the range of our Nissan Leaf). But at the same time, it would be difficult to go grocery shopping, or give wheelchair-bound folks rides (a common occurence with my wife's job), or transport two adults and a child (something that may be in our future). Etc.

The Elio is a funny thing. For any single person, it could be a perfectly suitable "Only" car. For a couple or a family, it's utility as an Only car drops dramatically, but it still far surpasses any other option for a Second car. So really, the only place where an Elio loses it's utility would be if a couple got married and they only each had an Elio to drive. (And even then, I think it could be a workable situation).

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My elio is going to become my main vehicle...
Depending on circumstances I think the elio would be far from a terrible only car.
  • The cost of entry and low maintenance cost make it a great "only" car for people that have limited means or simply don't want to spend their wad on a vehicle.
  • If you are a single person and mostly drive yourself the cabin has sufficient space to haul your butt around along with some amount of baggage; including your golf clubs or cello :)
  • Food shopping is possible and again if you are single the quantities that you would buy at the store would likely fit the elio space well.
  • If you want a big car to haul lumber, carry folks on a vacation, or just pack a bunch of stuff, you can rent a car with the savings you realize owning the elio. The rental car/truck would be your "and" car in this case.
Our favorite way to travel is to fly to a destination and rent a car and we often travel with another couple. Car rental is really cheap when you split it. Food shopping with an Elio is doable if you are driving by yourself. A couple of 12 packs on the floor of the passenger area. Two heavy grocery sacks on top of them. Chips, bread and other light stuff on the seat and or on top of the grocery sacks. The luggage compartment should hold 2 or 3 of the plastic or recyclable sacks at least. Two trips like that a week should do for a couple.

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry, a cello case will not fit in the rear trunk, they are ~18in. x 52in. it would need ot go on the roof.

A trombone case will fit though...

ElioTrunkDimensions.jpg

Top Bottom