• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't mention, that the 18' cedar strip kayak weighed 32 lbs. (just a bit heavier than one of my cats!)
On the downside, and although I built them for my own needs, when I sold them to generate enough money to move onto the next, I couldn't sell it for a price that even covered the cost of materials. The closest analogy would be quilters, who after all the effort probably translates to $1.00/ hour or less for their labor.
Ever run into a problem of not being able to not get them out the front door?

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
trailer.jpg

Here's a trailer with a 3-wheel motorcycle pulling it.
http://www.golittleguy.com/model?id=37&model=MyPod-Max

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ever run into a problem of not being able to not get them out the front door?
not even close, I had the frame setup on wheels, so when I sanded and glassed it was in my car port, If I could only remember I'd go with 30" maybe 28. easily went thru my front door (had to lock the cats in the Bedroom so they wouldn't get outside) herding them up was as difficult as moving the boat around.

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio does not want us to tow anything. That means no towing for the first 36,000 miles unless you want to void the warrantee. I understand that. Why don't they make it possible for two people to take a trip in their Elio by providing some sort of luggage carrier for the outside of the vehicle. They have a bike rack as an option. Why not design the bike rack so it will accept a sealable container the size of a normal suitcase. With a small cooler and gym bag in the trunk (for me) the wife and I could go on road trips in comfort. Salesmen could carry samples or whatever. The bike rack shows up in the configurator as a $188 option. Adding the optional container should not cost more than another $40/$50 or so. People are going to put too much stuff in and on their Elios. If a good solid option to carry a little extra on long trips is available people will use it instead of some jury rigged piece of crap which will fall off in traffic and cause accidents.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio does not want us to tow anything. That means no towing for the first 36,000 miles unless you want to void the warrantee. I understand that. Why don't they make it possible for two people to take a trip in their Elio by providing some sort of luggage carrier for the outside of the vehicle. They have a bike rack as an option. Why not design the bike rack so it will accept a sealable container the size of a normal suitcase. With a small cooler and gym bag in the trunk (for me) the wife and I could go on road trips in comfort. Salesmen could carry samples or whatever. The bike rack shows up in the configurator as a $188 option. Adding the optional container should not cost more than another $40/$50 or so. People are going to put too much stuff in and on their Elios. If a good solid option to carry a little extra on long trips is available people will use it instead of some jury rigged piece of crap which will fall off in traffic and cause accidents.
If E doesn't chose to include it, t'm sure the secondary market will fill the void, with matching colors and well designed to maximize milage.
just check-out aftermarket luggage for motorcycles to see the evolution/competition

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Couple of things to correct in your statement.
EM has reconsidered their stand on towing and are looking at options; they will announce more in the future.
Once you have the main mounts for your vehicle be it Yakima Rack https://www.yakima.com/ or a Thule https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-rack and that is pronounced Tool EE not thou LEE ; I don't know which one they're using, but once you established which one it is, go to the rack company site, and order your accessories from there.
You are going to get a big surprise when you find out how much those roof top boxes cost; and it's not $40 or $50 more like $225 to $500, the sites tell you why.
The one mistake people make is that once they have a rack, they think the roof can suddenly hold 700 to 1,000 lbs.; wrong; once you have a roof rack you have a spot to mount too, and each of these boxes tell you what capacity is (usually not over 100 lbs.).
And people (being the over packing wizards that we are) will stuff everything they can into them, ignoring the max weight warning.

The reason I gave Yakima and Thule is because they are the two biggest players in that market.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Couple of things to correct in your statement.
EM has reconsidered their stand on towing and are looking at options; they will announce more in the future.
Once you have the main mounts for your vehicle be it Yakima Rack https://www.yakima.com/ or a Thule https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-rack and that is pronounced Tool EE not thou LEE ; I don't know which one they're using, but once you established which one it is, go to the rack company site, and order your accessories from there.
You are going to get a big surprise when you find out how much those roof top boxes cost; and it's not $40 or $50 more like $225 to $500, the sites tell you why.
The one mistake people make is that once they have a rack, they think the roof can suddenly hold 700 to 1,000 lbs.; wrong; once you have a roof rack you have a spot to mount too, and each of these boxes tell you what capacity is (usually not over 100 lbs.).
And people (being the over packing wizards that we are) will stuff everything they can into them, ignoring the max weight warning.

The reason I gave Yakima and Thule is because they are the two biggest players in that market.

Hmmm, got me thinking about cedar strips and making my own "top box." Not for the roof, tho. To mount on a single wheeled trailer frame. ;)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm, got me thinking about cedar strips and making my own "top box." Not for the roof, tho. To mount on a single wheeled trailer frame. ;)
The only problem with using wood (well besides sealing it) is the weight of it.
Wood is heavy, and whatever you build you have to be very careful about how heavy it is when you finish.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The only problem with using wood (well besides sealing it) is the weight of it.
Wood is heavy, and whatever you build you have to be very careful about how heavy it is when you finish.
I have no idea the weight of axle, wheels, wiring, ball- thingy, but I think with 20lbs of wood and glass, you could have a well designed, structurally sound, water resistant trailer to match the "swoosh" of the E

Top Bottom