• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Thoughts On A Cold Day

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That subject came up around here last night . It was more about all cars. Block or tank heaters were once common and necessary here .
Todays cars and batteries have made it a non issue. Provided car is in good shape and battery is also even with long periods of 21 below cars do start fine. The only ones that seem to have issue are those that know they have a weak battery and try to get one more year out of it , or mechanical issues.
We have come a long way with our cars today.

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That subject came up around here last night . It was more about all cars. Block or tank heaters were once common and necessary here .
Todays cars and batteries have made it a non issue. Provided car is in good shape and battery is also even with long periods of 21 below cars do start fine. The only ones that seem to have issue are those that know they have a weak battery and try to get one more year out of it , or mechanical issues.
Diesels need to be plugged in at 20 below unless they are brand new it will be hard to start them even some gas engines , if it is an option I will definitly get a block heater and run a timer on it for those extra cold winters at -25 in utah. I also like the idea of an easy start and warm up vs cold start.

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought about that too, but then I was thinking that if the engine was all aluminum, where would you attach the magnet. Hopefully the oil pan is steel.
I have the same problem with my snowmobile the bolts in the heads are made of steel and while the magnet just rests in place it is still effective, also the exhaust manifold and bolts are usually always steel.
I agree I really hope the oil pan is steel. Katz also has a sticky pad heater sold at utah autozones for aluminum oilpans.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Todays cars and batteries have made it a non issue. Provided car is in good shape and battery is also even with long periods of 21 below cars do start fine.

ain't it the truth .... I well remember the days when a car reached 80,000 miles the motor was gone .... the body was usually still good but motor was used up .... now its hard to find a used car for sale with less than a 100,000 miles on it

Top Bottom