• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The "let's Argue Over Colors And What Elio 'said'" Thread

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
They are trying to keep costs down, changing colors in a paint booth still has added costs...

in recent weeks (months) we've seen post from folks who have come unglued at the prospect of the base price being a penny over $6,800 .... they have charged that if it is, EM will be committing fraud, is totally corrupt for false advertising, can't be trusted on anything, needs to have its management replaced, and on, and on, and on .... personally, I think they are delusional and living in some sort of alternate reality .... that said, that's the way they feel/believe and they are entitled to do so .... we see others who want more and more stuff added to the base model .... I can see how that puts EM between a rock and a hard place, dammed if they do and dammed if they don't .... I do believe that they are working toward their goal of $6,800 base price but really don't spend much time wondering about it .... when the price is set, I'll make a decision as to buy or not .... I would much prefer yellow and will make a decision based on price as to if I'll order ours primed and paint it later or pick some other color (probably creamsicle if the production color is a s sharp as the P4) .... will do the same with the Elgin dash

cortsdad2

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is a true statement, the 7 colors are locked in and not the specific paint.

That does not however mean that the designers haven't already selected paint based on the paint budget they expect to have. Knowing what paint(s) are penciled into the plan is of course how they already know the final Creamsicle paint will not look as shiny as on the P4. :)
The P4 is shinier... because they wax the crap out of it!

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
in recent weeks (months) we've seen post from folks who have come unglued at the prospect of the base price being a penny over $6,800 .... they have charged that if it is, EM will be committing fraud, is totally corrupt for false advertising, can't be trusted on anything, needs to have its management replaced, and on, and on, and on .... personally, I think they are delusional and living in some sort of alternate reality .... that said, that's the way they feel/believe and they are entitled to do so .... we see others who want more and more stuff added to the base model .... I can see how that puts EM between a rock and a hard place, dammed if they do and dammed if they don't .... I do believe that they are working toward their goal of $6,800 base price but really don't spend much time wondering about it .... when the price is set, I'll make a decision as to buy or not .... I would much prefer yellow and will make a decision based on price as to if I'll order ours primed and paint it later or pick some other color (probably creamsicle if the production color is a s sharp as the P4) .... will do the same with the Elgin dash

Not that big on the Elgin dash, but what I signed up for was three wheels, 2 place tandem seating, 3 cyl engine, good mileage, front wheel drive, manual transmission. Anything else is window dressing. Oh, and a delivery date before my next pacemaker (about 5 more years).

cortsdad2

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yup, and we also know that EM is currently only offering 7 colors because the Shreveport plant has 7 paint booths. Even though each paint booth could be set up to handle more than one color EM has determined that the most cost efficient way to handle painting is to assign a single color to each booth.

The 7 colors EM has chosen to offer were chosen because they are both popular and within EM's cost goals. People mention wanting yellow however right now yellow is actually the most expensive primary car paint color which means yellow was knocked out of the initial color selection due to its cost. EM has told several of us that they do have future plans to change the available colors at some point in the future however this will not likely happen in the first year or two unless they simply find one color is really not selling well at all. Eventually a color could be swapped in on a temporary basis or one of the intial colors could be swapped out and EM could choose to run a booth which paints vehicles with a selection of premium extra cost colors.
Henry Ford famously said his Model T customers could have any color they wanted... so long as it was black. The reason? At the time, black paint dried the fasted which resulted in production and cost savings. That was Henry Fords goal, to make his cars affordable... sound familiar? Go Elio!

Last edited:

BADBOY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the top overall car colors in the U.S., for all vehicle categories, Silver leads the way with White in second, followed by Black.
These 3 colors account for 50% of all vehicle sales with Silver at 25% .
The next 3 account for 25% of all vehicles . Blue, Grey, Red in that order . The next 3 account for only 8 % of all vehicle sales . Gold, Green , Brown

I think Elio knows what they're doing despite the orange and green anomalies . If I were building a new car , I would probably avoid yellow too.
I read somewhere that white is rated so high due to so many vehicles that are purchased for commercial use and signage added for advertising. Many pickups are white. Black used to have to do with so many police departments buying plus funeral homes etc. Limousines another significant purchase.

BADBOY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Henry Ford famously said his Model T customers could have any color they wanted... so long as it was black. The reason? At the time, black paint dried the fasted which resulted in production and cost savings. That was Henry Fords goal, to make his cars affordable... sound familiar? Go Elio!
I volunteer to blow on mine to dry paint faster

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I read somewhere that white is rated so high due to so many vehicles that are purchased for commercial use and signage added for advertising. Many pickups are white. Black used to have to do with so many police departments buying plus funeral homes etc. Limousines another significant purchase.

Many drivers in the southern states select white for it's reflective properties . I read somewhere that the overwhelming majority of cars sold in Dubai are white for the same reason.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Many drivers in the southern states select white for it's reflective properties . I read somewhere that the overwhelming majority of cars sold in Dubai are white for the same reason.

Many drivers in southern states select white 'cause that's what's on the lot.
Dealers pre-order what they think they can sell.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Humm, as a long term yellow advocate, it's great to hear others, but g1 dashed my hopes when the increased cost of that color costs more, and perhaps down the line it might be a possible extra. We are but a current dot on the EM landscape. Consider how small a group we are even among the 40k reservations, right now I think we're about 25!! I think as I have begun to realize, that until the next bi
and the cheapest is 100k!

Top Bottom